Friday, June 8, 2012

Cream Cheese Monkey Bread

Pin It
Cream Cheese Monkey Bread by Pip & Ebby
I saw a version of this recipe on Pinterest, and I thought it looked good enough to pin and try later. It is a very rich take on traditional monkey bread (thanks to the cream cheese), so I couldn't eat that much (probably a good thing for my waistline). 
  It's a sweet pull apart bread with crunchy edges and a tangy cream cheese center. Mine didn't turn out as pretty as the original version (pictured here), and I'm not exactly sure why. I'm betting it tastes the same, though.  My modifications were to use one can of large biscuits, instead of two can of small ones, and to decrease the amount of sugar and butter (it seemed quit excessive).

Here's all you need:

 1/2 cup melted butter, 1 can of 8 refrigerator biscuits, 6-8 oz cream cheese, brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon 
First, I mixed the cinnamon sugar layer. Into a measuring cup go 1/2 cup dark brown sugar,

1/2 cup white sugar

1 Tbsp cinnamon

Then mix it all together with a fork.

Cut the block of cream cheese into 16 pieces (I think it's a little too much cream cheese for me, so I would recommend only using 6 ounces of the total 8 ounces and then cutting that into 16 cubes.)

Open the can of biscuits, and split each one in half horizontally, so you have 16 disks of dough.

Place one cube of cream cheese on each disk of dough.

Wrap the dough up the sides of the cream cheese, but not completely enclosing it.

Line the bottom of your greased bunt pan with 8 of the cream cheese/dough bundles, cream cheese side up.

Sprinkle half of the cinnamon sugar mixture over the top, and then drizzle half of the melted butter over that.

Place the next 8 cream cheese/dough bundles cream cheese side down . . . 

Like this. This way the cream cheese is suppose to be "stuffed" inside the baked ring of dough . . . theoretically anyway.

The second half of the cinnamon sugar goes down,

and the last of the melted butter.

It goes into a preheated 350F oven for 40 minutes.

When it's done it looks like this. So pretty! The top (which will actually be the bottom is very crunchy and reminds me of coffee cake. Mmm.

Let it cool for a few minutes (so you don't burn the heck out of your hands), and carefully invert the bundt pan onto a platter. - My amazing husband did this for me - the pan is still very hot!

When it is upside down, like this . . .

Just remove the bundt pan and you have your monkey bread.

This is what one slice looked like.

I separated the two halves, expecting cream cheese to be on both sides (like how I put it in there), but it wasn't. It melted down into the bottom side only.

No biggy! That is what they invented butter knives for! I just spread it on both sides and it was all good. :)
Like I said earlier. This is very rich, so one piece (or maybe two if you have a mouth full of sweet teeth like me) will satisfy you. After that - yes I kept eating - you might start to feel a little sick. (Learn from my mistakes people. SHARE!)

Here's the recipe:

Cream Cheese Monkey Bread

1 can of Flaky Layers Grands Buttermilk Biscuits (8 biscuits to the can)
6-8 oz cream cheese, cut into 16 cubes
1 stick (1/2 cup) salted butter, melted
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix together the sugars and cinnamon and set aside. Split each biscuit in half horizontally, making 16 total disks of dough. Place a cube of cream cheese in the center of each disk of dough. Wrap the dough up the sides of the cream cheese. Place 8 dough bundles, cream cheese side up, into the bottom of a greased bundt pan. Top with 1/2 of the cinnamon sugar mixture and then half of the melted butter. Place the last 8 dough bundles, cream cheese side down. Sprinkle the last half of the cinnamon sugar on top and then the last of the melted butter on top of that. Bake @ 350F for 40 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes, and then invert onto a serving platter. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment