Saturday, July 28, 2012

Anne of Green Gables Lemonade

pin it

picture via Simply So Good - Old Fashioned Lemonade

While it hasn't been over 100 degrees outside lately, it definitely gets that hot too many times for my taste. One great way to cool down is with a nice tall glass of ice cold lemonade.
   I usually shy away from making lemonade, because the juicing alone is tiresome - but I count it towards my exercise for the day and I feel better about it. (It's one heck of an arm work out to get 1 1/2 cups of lemon juice!) I found this recipe on Pinterest (of course) and it is the recipe from the Anne of Green Gables Cookbook. Did you ever read those books? If not, you really should! Our book club read one last year, and it was nice to read a book that is so uplifting and not full of garbage (as many books today are, in my opinion).
   Anyway. This lemonade recipe is really delicious, and couldn't be easier -after you get all the juice that is.

There's only 4 steps (maybe 5 but their not hard - promise):
Step 1: Make the simple syrup. 1 1/2 cups each of water and sugar go into a pot on the stove. Put it over medium high heat, to bring it to a boil.

In the mean time, Step 2: Zest 1 lemon. Only the yellow please!

I got about 1 Tbsp from my medium to large lemon.

Step 3: Juice the lemons. Lots of lemons. It's best to do this with a reamer, or juicer of some kind - Not just squeezing it like I am here. Do as I say, not as I do. (I squoze the first half like this and then remembered to do it a more productive way.)

Make sure to strain the juice through a fine mesh strainer, to get out any seeds. (This is still the same half from the picture above.)

The simple syrup should be up to a boil now. Turn off the heat, and stir to make sure all the sugar is dissolved.

Step 3 1/2 (or 4 if you want to be technical): Combine the 1 1/2 cups juice, and 1 Tbsp zest . . .

with the simple syrup, and

stir to combine.

Pour the mixture into a large mason jar to store for later.

You've just made lemonade concentrate!  Screw the lid on and this will keep in the fridge for a week. It doesn't make it past a day or two in my house.

When you are ready for your lemonade, the ratio is 1:3. 1 part lemonade concentrate to 3 parts water - or to taste. (You might like your lemonade more strong, or weak than I like mine. Do what tastes good to you.)
This is step 4 (or 5, whichever): Pour 1/4 cup of lemonade concentrate over a glass of ice. Fill the glass the rest of the way up with water. Add a sprig of mint and a slice of lemon and you're done!

I didn't have any mint on hand, and I was too thirsty to take the time to make mine look pretty with the lemon slices. But the picture on top from Simply So Good shows it the "correct way. 
You can also jazz this recipe up by making flavored lemonades. Just add a little pureed fruit. Strawberry, watermelon, mango and peach are a few of my favorites.
This recipe is so easy to remember because the water, sugar and juice are all in equal amounts. Easy Peasy! Enjoy!

Anne Of Green Gables Lemonade

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups lemon juice
zest of one lemon (about 1 Tbsp)

Combine water and sugar in a pot. Bring to a boil and turn off heat. Stir to make sure the sugar is dissolved. Add the zest and lemon juice. Stir. Store in the fridge in an air tight container (a large mason jar is best in my opinion) in the fridge until ready to use. When ready to serve, add 1/4 cup of the lemonade mixture to 3/4 cups water (or to taste). Serve over ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment