Thursday, April 12, 2012

Simple Pigs In A Blanket - Breakfast and Lunch



I was lying in bed last night thinking of things I want to make (like to do almost every night), and I thought about my failed (in my opinion) attempt at Cheesy Pigs In A Blanket and thought, "I really want some that don't take as long to prepare - that I could actually get together and baked before the kids went to school." My solution, use the store bought ingredients I have on hand in my fridge. The result - so so so yummy!

I made two versions. A breakfast version with sausage in the middle; and a snack/lunch version with the usual hot dog middle.
You only need two ingredients for each.

You'll need a can of these. Any kind you like will work. My favorite is the crescent rolls, but this is what I have the in fridge today.

You'll also need a package of these yummy breakfast items. :)
 If you want to make the more traditional Pigs In A Blanket, (the snack/lunch version) just use hot dogs instead.
 Take the biscuits out of the can (I think I've finally gotten to the point when this "POP" doesn't startle me.), and cut each one in half.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thick.
Put your sausage on to cook. (If you're using hot dogs, they are already pre-cooked so they don't need this extra step. They will get re-cooked enough when they go into the oven.)
 If you have it, use a splatter screen. I love this invention - popping grease hurts!
 At this point I wanted to hurry things along, and I started rolling them out 3 and 4 at a time. It worked pretty well I think.
 When all 16 pieces are rolled out, get your cooked sausage (or hot dogs if that is your meat of choice).

 Drain the sausage when it comes out of the pan. (Mine got a little dark because I cooked them on high, trying to hurry. Oh well. No one will be able to tell. They are getting wrapped in dough after all.)
 Now just place the sausage at one end of a piece of dough and roll it up.

 If you are using hot dogs, you'll want to cut them in half first.
 Then just roll them up exactly as the sausage. Start at one end and roll all the way to the other.
 Place them on a cookie sheet, seam sides down, and bake @ 350 for 14 minutes.
This is what they look like right out of the oven. (I had a few too close together, so they didn't brown so well. Try to give each "pig" it's own space to expand.)
 Now just plate and eat! The breakfast sausage ones are particularly yummy dipped in real maple syrup. Mmmmmm. . . .
Here's the recipe:

Simple Pigs In A Blanket

1 can biscuits
16 breakfast sausage links (or 8 hot dogs cut in half)

Preheat oven to 350F. Cut each biscuit in half and roll out to 1/8 inch thickness. Cook the sausage and drain on paper towels. Roll the sausage (or hot dog halves), one in each biscuit half and place seam side down on a cookie sheet. Cook 14 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with maple syrup (or mustard, or a cheese sauce if you used hot dogs).

1 comment:

  1. I'm always thinking of what to make next too! And I love my splatter screen (when I remember to use it - lol). No job is too small for it, I can remind myself :)

    Looks yummy!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete