Sunday, February 3, 2013

Sausage and Cheese Biscuit Bites

 
 I was watching The Food Network (like I do most days- but from my DVR because there is no telling when I'll actually be able to sit down and have a few uninterrupted minutes), and I was inspired by something I saw on Trisha's Southern Kitchen. She shared a recipe for her mother's Sausage Hors d'Oeuvres. I looked up the reviews of her recipe and it seemed lacking, so I tweaked it to be my own (like I do most recipes). The result is a 4 ingredient little bite of sausage and cheese goodness. :)
  These little morsels are perfect for any party. Whether it's a baby shower or the Super Bowl. I brought them to a baby shower I was hosting yesterday, and they got rave reviews. Out of the entire tray (which is the one you see pictured above - that I stacked two layers high) I only took home 5 biscuit bites! Yeah, I'd say it was a winner. :D
   I promised I would post it promptly, so here it is.

This is all you need:
Sausage, Bisquick, Sharp Cheddar Cheese and Buttermilk

 First step is to put the sausage in the bowl. 1 lb please. Then you'll need to grate 1 lb of cheese.

 Add the cheese to the sausage. Yes, it's a lot, but with only 4 ingredients, they all take center stage.  This looks like an extra big amount because I'm making a double batch for the baby shower.

To the sausage and cheese, add the buttermilk. 1 cup for a single batch. (You might be able to use regular milk here, but I had some buttermilk in the fridge. Using the buttermilk gives the final product a nice twang that you find in buttermilk biscuits.)

Now, just put the spurs to it. If I were making a single batch I would do this in my stand mixer, with the paddle attachment, but since I'm making a double batch I broke out my hand mixer. This is not recommended, as it gets stuck pretty good between the tines of the mixers, but you work with what you got. 

As you are mixing, slowly incorporate 3 cups of Bisquick. (I also add a little salt and pepper, but this is optional - and to taste.)

Mix everything until it just comes together. Don't over mix, or the biscuit bites will be tough!

Scoop them out onto a baking sheet. (I always use parchment paper because it makes the clean-up so much easier; and I don't have to worry about anything sticking.)

Bake @ 375F for 15 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.

This is the final product. Just put them on a plate and watch them disappear.  This is perfectly acceptable for a sports party or just a snack around the house.

But, I wanted to make mine a little fancier for us ladies at the baby shower, so they got put on a pretty platter and adorned with frilly blue toothpicks (she is having a boy after all). :)

These will not disappoint! They are best right out of the oven, but are great at room temperature too.
Here's the recipe:
adapted from Sausage Hors d'Oeuvres

Sausage and Cheese Biscuit Bites

1 lb ground sausage (I prefer Jimmy Dean)
1 lb cheese (I use sharp cheddar cheese)
1 cup buttermilk
3 cups Bisquick
1/2 tsp salt (to taste - optional)
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper (to taste - optional)

Preheat oven to 375F. In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment,  Add the sausage, cheese and buttermilk. Turn the mixer on low and slowly start adding Bisquick, and the salt and pepper (if using). Mix until everything is just combined. DO NOT OVER MIX! Scoop out into about 1 inch balls (they will grow as they cook) and place 1 to 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake @ 375F for 15 minutes, or until they are golden brown and cooked through. Serve hot, warm or room temperature. Makes about 40 biscuit bites.

*If you wanted to give these a little kick, you could add some hot sauce to the mix. These would also be good with a dipper of your choosing. Try these out for you next party and let me know what you think.
Experiment. Have fun and make memories by serving food you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment