Saturday, June 22, 2013

Cinnaburst Bread


Can we just pretend that it's not summer and nearing triple digits outside? Can I crank the a.c. and pretend that it's still cool enough to enjoy baking every day and making delicious breads on a whim? I like to think so.
   I stumbled upon a version of Cinnaburst bread while on Pinterest. Someone was trying to recreate a cinnamon studded bread they had purchased at a popular bakery. I tried to make her version, but ended up with my own instead. The only main differences being how many cinnamon chips I used. This bread is a perfect fix for a cinnamon roll craving, but it takes less time and can be toasted and buttered to order. The kids and I loved this bread, but my hubby said it was just "o.k." He has recently become very picky as to what he raves about. I think he's been spoiled with too much good food. ;)
   I made this on a whim, at night, so I didn't take any step by step pictures. And my after pictures are pretty dark. I would have taken more in the morning, but there wasn't enough of it left to photograph (even though the recipe makes 2 loaves).  I find myself craving this bread regularly, but because it's getting so hot I only attempt to make it in the wee hours of the morning, or after the sun has gone down in the evening - so as to not heat up the house too much.
FYI: Cinnamon chips are just like chocolate chips, but are cinnamon flavored. Some stores only carry them in the fall/winter months, but I have been able to find them at both Win-Co and Town an& Country in the summer time. Other places like Walmart might carry them in the off months, but I haven't checked them personally. I also gave a link to the cinnamon bits that I think were most-likely used in the original bakery bread, if you would like to order those and try them out. :)
  Try this bread for yourself and let me know what you think!

Here is the first photo I took (never mind that the loaf is already half eaten). It tastes good like this, but the real magic happens when you toast it.

When toasted and slathered with butter it really hits the cinnamon spot. (And yes, that is really how much butter I use. Don't judge, just enjoy life.) If you wanted a true cinnamon roll experience you could spread some sweetened cream cheese on top, but the butter does it for me.

Cinnaburst Bread
adapted from  Rae Gun Ramblings Cinnaburst Bread

1 cup warm water (105-115F)
1 cup warm milk (105-115F)
1/3 cup sugar
2 1/4 tsp yeast (1 pack)
1/3 cup veggie or canola oil
1/2 Tbsp salt
1 egg
4 1/2 to 5 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 10 oz bag Hershey's cinnamon chips (or 1 cup Hershey's cinnamon chips and 1 cup King Arthur Cinnamon Flav-R-Bites)
*butter
 
In a stand mixer, combine yeast, sugar, warm water and milk; let sit for about 5 minutes, until foamy. Add in oil and egg. Slowly add 2 cups flour, mix and then add salt. (The flour acts as a buffer so the salt doesn't kill the yeast.) Add 1/2 cup flour at a time until it comes away from side of bowl. Add 1 cup of the Hershey's cinnamon chips when it gets close to the right consistency. (Most of the chips will melt into the warm dough and make it slightly orange in color.) The dough will be very sticky but the softer the dough, the lighter the bread. So use the least amount of flour you can handle. Let rise in mixing bowl (in a warm part of the kitchen) for about 30 minutes. On a floured surface, roll out the dough into a rectangle and evenly sprinkle on the rest of the cinnamon chips (or the Cinnamon Flav-R-Bites, if using). Fold them in gently and the divide the dough into two. Form into two loaves and place into greased loaf pans. Let rise and additional 30 minutes (until doubled). Bake at 350F degrees for 30-40 minutes (until browned and hollow sounding when tapped). Turn out onto towel or cooing rack and cover loosely with another towel. Let sit 30 minutes before cutting. (*I also like to rub the outside of the hot loaves with butter, so the crust is softer, but this is just personal preference.)
 Makes 2 loaves


No comments:

Post a Comment