Friday, August 9, 2013

Baja Sauce (For Tacos and What-not)


The other night I made shrimp tacos that were AMAZING! I needed a quick dinner, and if you like shrimp then they should always be on your mind for quick meals. They literally cook in two to three minutes and they thaw very quickly from frozen. Since I can't always make it to the market to get fresh shrimp, I like to have some on hand in the freezer.
  So, I knew I wanted to make something with shrimp . . . I was originally thinking pasta (because that is usually my go-to starch for quick meals) but I remembered that I had just purchased a ton of fresh corn tortillas and some plantains. So, a plan was made. We were having shrimp tacos with tostones (twice friend plantains - post coming soon)! I adore shrimp tacos and tostones so much I was actually giddy making this meal. There's a taco place that I love to go to in town, but we can't always afford to splurge on tempting fish and shrimp tacos whenever I get a craving. I was more than happy to take on the challenge of making it at home.
   I sauteed the shrimp in a hot pan with butter, lime juice, garlic, a little salt and some Tajin seasoning. When the shrimp were pink they were done and I took them off the heat. The only thing left to make was the sauce. And, in my opinion, the sauce makes it. It's what takes an o.k. taco to a crazy-good taco!

I just eye-balled everything, but it's roughly 1/2 cup of mayonnaise, 1/4 cup sour cream, 1 chipotle pepper (from the can, in adobo sauce), 1/2 tsp salt (to taste) and the juice of 1/2 lime.

I just stirred it all together and tasted it for seasoning (if I wanted to add more salt or lime juice).






It's a really mild sauce, so all of the kids gobbled it up. If you wanted to make it spicier, you could add more chipotle pepper (in the form of canned or powdered). Taste it how it is, and then adjust it to fit your family and your tastes. :)
Nothing left to do but slather it on  . . .

and enjoy! (P.S. Yes, I know I should be using cabbage instead of lettuce here . . . and some pico de gallo, or salsa of any kind would also help things be more authentic, but it was a quick meal and I had to use my resources at hand. I'm telling you, the taco didn't suffer any. AMAZING! I can't wait to make them again!!!)

Here's the recipe for the sauce:

Baja Sauce

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1 chipotle pepper (in adobo sauce), minced
salt (to taste)
juice of 1/2 lime (to taste)

Mix together and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment