Friday, October 11, 2013

Chocolate Malted Crunch Cookies (AKA Whopper Pudding Cookies)

 
I have some amazing church friends and family that have been helping us out during this crazy government shutdown. People from my ward have volunteered to bring us meals, since we aren't getting paid (and don't know when the next check will come). One dear friend, Lynn, said "Why should I cook for you? You're a much better cook than I am." While I don't know if I agree with that, it was nice to hear. And the bags and boxes of groceries she gave, in place of just one meal, were extremely generous and greatly appreciated.
    Among the goodies were two boxes of Whoppers. You know, those chocolate covered malted milk-ball candies? She also gave me some wonderful baking goods (flour, sugar, butter, eggs) so of course I'm going to bake something yummy! Well, the Whoppers got me thinking about a cookie that I pinned forever ago and wanted to try. The cookies are called Malt Whopper Pudding Cookies. My husband's favorite ice-cream is the Chocolate Malted Crunch from Thifty's and he loves malt, so I'm always on the hunt for a good malt dessert. I made him my Malted Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies (which are in my top 3 favorite cookies), but he said that they were too flat for his taste. So, now I'm always on the hunt for a malt cookie with more substance, and the pudding cookies looked like they would fit the bill. I did change up the recipe a bit, and my husband enjoyed them but he's still looking for a home-run malt cookie. I'll keep searching for sure, but in the mean time I think these cookies taste a lot like his favorite ice-cream (hence the name). Try them out and let me know what you think. :)

It starts with 1 1/2 sticks of butter (3/4 cups). I like salted butter, but you can use what you like.

1/2 cup each white and brown sugar are added to the butter.

They get creamed together . . .

and then 1 small package of instant chocolate pudding and 1/4 cup malted milk powder is added.

2 eggs and a little vanilla go in next.

And then the flour and baking soda. Mix it all together until combined - it will pull away from the bowl. It's a thick batter.

Last, but certainly not least, go in the chopped whoppers. I just chopped up one 5 oz box of candy. It was a little more than 1 cup. After tasting the final product, I wish I had chopped up the second box too. Oh well.

 Just use a spatula and mix the candy pieces in completely.

When everything is combined, you are ready to scoop.

I always use my smallest scoop when I make cookies. That way they all come out uniform, and the cookies end up being about 2 1/2 inches across (not too big that I feel guilty about having more than one . . . or three). And I always use a silpat or parchment paper, so the cookies never stick and my pans stay easy to clean. The third thing that I always do, when baking cookies, is to freeze at least 1/2 the batter for later baking. I just scoop them out, as if I was going to bake them, but I put them in the freezer instead. When they are hard, I put them into a labeled zip-top freezer bag and bake them up as needed (wanted really).

They get baked @ 350F for 8 minutes, and this is what they look like:

This is the final product. They are soft and a little chewy with nice crunchy bits inside. The chocolate and malt flavors work perfectly together and completely remind me of my adoring hubby's favorite ice-cream.
Here's the recipe:
adapted from Malt Whopper Pudding Cookies

Chocolate Malted Crunch Cookies (AKA Whopper Pudding Cookies) 

3/4 cup butter softened (I like salted)
1/2 cup brown sugar 
1/2 cup granulated sugar 
1 small box instant chocolate pudding, dry
rounded 1/4 cup malt milk powder  
2 large eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking soda 
2 cups flour 
1-2 cups Whoppers (to taste, I used one 5 oz box) chopped

Preheat oven to 350F. Line cookie sheets with a silpat or parchment paper. Cream together butter and sugars. Add pudding mix and malt powder. Mix in 2 eggs and vanilla. Stir in the baking soda and flour, making sure they are well combined. Fold in the chopped Whoppers. Scoop (about 1 inch balls) onto the prepared cookie sheets, leaving about 2 inches in between each scoop. Bake @ 350F for 8-10 minutes (this will depend on the size of the cookie and your particular oven). The cookies should look set on top (not shiny) and slightly brown on the bottom. Do not over bake.

No comments:

Post a Comment