Thursday, October 9, 2014

Cucumber Tomato Salad

This is such an easy side dish, but it always is a hit and brings back good memories. It's tangy, cool and satisfying. The tomatoes are soft while the cucumbers are still crisp. It's a great balance.
    My dad used to make this for us when I was younger. He, of course, never measured anything. He just chopped the veggies and added in a splash of this and a splash of that. He also usually used Balsamic vinegar, so the final dish had a darker hue than mine, but I like the brightness of the veggies so I opted for Apple Cider vinegar instead. You really don't need a "recipe" for this, since it's all pretty much "to taste" but I measured out everything that I did anyway, in case you need guidelines. The typical ratio for a vinegrete is 2:1 oil to vinegar. But I like this salad on the acidic side, so I do more of a 2:1 vinegar to oil ratio (even less oil actually). I encourage you to make it how you would like it. :)

Here's the recipe: (serves 4 adults as a side)

Cucumber Tomato Salad

1 medium organic cucumber, chopped (I quartered mine, to be easier for the little ones to eat, but just slices work well too) 
1 medium organic, vine ripe tomato, chopped (I also seeded mine, but it's optional)
2 Tbsp vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar - this is to taste, if you don't like it so sour use less)
2 tsp oil (I use extra-virgin olive oil - again to taste, if you like it more oily then add more)
salt and pepper to taste
  
Stir all the ingredients together in a bowl and serve cold or at room temp. The longer it sits, the softer and more pickled the veggies will become.

No comments:

Post a Comment