Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Caprese Salad

Heading into the warmer months, this is a salad that my family enjoys all summer long. It's light, refreshing, and is a cinch to make. There's not one true, hard and fast recipe to use for Caprese salad. The basics are tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. What really makes this salad, though, is making sure to use the BEST ingredients possible. It really does make all the difference. I recently had a caprese salad at a local restaurant, and I was sorely dissapointed. So, I came home and made my own which is almost always better (and cheaper!)

Isn't this salad so pretty? It's impressive enough to serve to company, but easy enough to have on a regular week night with the family. I've made it with a ball of fresh mozzarella (pictured), but I've also made it with the little round balls of mozzarella (bocconcini), and not cut them at all. Both ways are delicious!

Here's my "recipe"

Caprese Salad

3-4 large heirloom tomatoes (organic if you can)
1 pound fresh mozzarella
1 small bunch of fresh basil
extra virgin olive oil
salt
freshly cracked black pepper
aged balsamic vinegar

Cut the tomatoes and the cheese into 1/4 inch slices. Arange them on a plate, alternating tomatoes and cheese as you like. Tear or cut the basil into small pieces and sprinkle on top. Drizzle on a little olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle on salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment