Friday, September 7, 2012

Basic Fried Rice

OK. Remember the Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken I posted a couple days ago? Well, it was amazingly delicious (if you haven't checked it out, you really should), and we served it along side/on top of this fried rice. I found the original recipe on the same site that the inspiration for my Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken came from. It's just a basic fried rice recipe (and of course I tweaked it a bit), but it is much healthier than anything you would get in a restaurant, or out of a take out box. Is it the same? No, but it might be better. :) You be the judge. 
  That being said, I still have a special place in my heart for my sister Jennie's Fried Rice. It has delicious things in it like Sweet Chili Sauce. But I digress. The recipe I am sharing with you today is a delicious recipe, but it is a very basic recipe. Once you've made it and are comfortable with it, change it up! I'm always for changing a recipe to fit your tastes and needs. Food is meant to be enjoyed!

So, this basic recipe couldn't be easier. It only has a few ingredients and it's a cinch to whip together. 

The only prep required is to have 3 cups of cooked rice on hand. 

I didn't.

But that didn't detour me. No sir-e.  I made 3 cups of fresh white long grain rice (1 1/2 cups rinsed, uncooked rice with 1 1/4 cups water- simmered for about 15 minutes gave me 3 cups of fluffy white rice). Then I spread out the hot rice on the largest cookie sheet I had, and to the freezer I went. It went on the bottom of my up right freezer, and in 20 minutes it was cold - just like the day old rice it was suppose to be. :)


Now, that the rice is ready, let's actually do some cooking.
To a large skillet or wok, over medium heat, add some sesame oil, minced garlic, diced onion and frozen peas/carrots.

They sweat out for a bit and get soft.

When the veggies are soft, the heat gets cranked up to high and the rice joins the party. In goes some soy sauce,

and a few shakes of ground ginger. (This isn't in the original recipe, but I tasted the rice without it and found it lacking.)

At this point it is perfectly fine to plate up and serve. (And I actually did, before I realized I forgot something!)

It looked pretty sitting there on my dinner plate, but I couldn't think of why it looked a little drab. . . and then it hit me.

I forgot to add the eggs! I took this shot after I scrambled some eggs in the pan. If you want to add eggs to your rice too (and I highly recommend it), just scoot the rice to the outer edges of your pan and add in 2 eggs, slightly beaten. Scramble them up over medium heat, and when they are cooked, stir them into the rice.
Now, of course this rice can be jazzed up a million different ways from Sunday. The sky is the limit. Add chicken, beef, pork, shrimp, spam, whatever floats your boat. :) Just enjoy your food!
Here's the recipe:

Fried Rice                                                                                             
3 cups cooked white rice (day old or leftover rice works best!)
3 Tbs toasted sesame oil
1 cup frozen peas and carrots (thawed is best but not necessary)
1 small onion, diced
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced ginger (or 1/2 tsp ground ginger) to taste
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 cup soy sauce

      On medium heat, heat the oil in a large skillet or wok.  Add the peas/carrots mix, onion, ginger and garlic. Stir fry until tender.  Push the mixture off to one side, then pour your eggs on the other side of skillet and stir fry until scrambled. Turn the heat to high, and add the rice and soy sauce. Stir well. Stir fry until thoroughly heated.

No comments:

Post a Comment