Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies

 pin it

Is it time for another cookie recipe? I think so. ;)
   Today's cookie is Peanut Butter Chocolate (or Candy) Chunk Cookies. I found this recipe during my never ending quest to find a chewy peanut butter cookie. I don't know about you, but it seems like all peanut butter cookies end up hard and crunchy once they cool. I'm a chewy kinda girl, so I know there must be a recipe out there that satisfies my needs - I just haven't found it yet.
   That being said, this peanut butter cookie recipe is good - it's just not chewy. I used peanut butter filled M&M's as my "chocolate chunks" and I really like the cookies this way. There's a nice texture and flavor that the M&M's give that I don't think could be duplicated using anything else . . . not that something else wouldn't be equally as delicious. (A Butterfinger candy bar chopped up might be nice, but I digress.)
   What I'm trying to say is that these cookies are good. Really good. But if you are looking for a chewy peanut butter cookie keep looking (and let me know when you've found it please!).

Let's get started:

1 stick of salted, softened butter is put into the bottom of a mixing bowl.

Next comes 1/2 cup of peanut butter. Crunchy or smooth is up to you - I chose smooth today.

Cream the butters together and add in the sugar.

Both white and dark brown.

After the sugars and butters have creamed together (gotten lighter in color and smooth) add in some vanilla,

 and 1 egg.

When the batter is smooth again, add in the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and baking soda.

Mix the batter together and add in about 1 Tbsp of milk (just until the dough doesn't look dry).

Now comes the add-ins. This is what I used, but you can substitute anything you like.

1 cup of the "chunks" go in.

When the chunks are fully combined into the batter, it's done!

Nothing left to do but scoop. I like to use my smallest scoop. It's probably about 1 to 1 1/2 inch in size.

Place the balls of cookie dough onto a parchment or silpat lined cookie sheet.

As always, I scooped the rest of the dough onto a plate (or cookie sheet) and placed them in the freezer. Once they get rock hard I put them into a labeled zip-top freezer bag for later use. I say this is to keep me from eating so many cookies at once (which is partly true). But it also allows me to have freshly baked cookies in a moments notice. Also, since I usually keep 4-8 kinds of cookies in my freezer, I can have multiple flavors of cookies at once (for those days I just don't want to choose). ;) In any case. This is a good habit to get into - unless you like having 3 dozen baked cookies in your house at once.

They are cooked @ 375F for about 7 minutes.

After they cool on a cooling rack they are ready to eat.

Have one . . . or two . . . or  eight. You don't judge me and I won't judge you. :)

Here's the recipe:
from Idea Room

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe


1/2 cup butter, softened 
1/2 cup peanut butter 
1/2 cup granulated sugar 
1/2 cup packed brown sugar or 1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder 
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 to 1 tablespoon milk (add this at the very end just to make dough smooth and creamy) 
1 cup Peanut Butter M&M's (or chocolate chips) 

In a large mixing bowl beat butter and peanut butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Cream together until light in color and smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla until combined. Beat baking soda, baking powder and flour. Add milk (from 1/2 Tablespoon to 1 Tablespoon just enough to make the dough moist and creamy). Add M&M's (or chocolate) and mix until just incorporated.  If necessary, cover and chill dough about 1 hour or until easy to handle. 
Preheat oven to 375F. Drop cookies by scooping them out of the bowl with a spoon dropping them in small balls onto your greased cookie sheets.  Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. Makes about 36 cookies.

5 comments:

  1. I actually have a delicious chewy peanut butter cookie recipe! I think it was from The Mixer Bible but I can check and scan it for you (we have a scanner at home) if you are interested. I remember eating making some peanut butter cookies that were really soft, not dry like most. They have a crunchy shell with soft inside. I also have a Cook's Country recipe for "Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies" - lol. I haven't tried that one yet. I'd be happy to share both recipes if you'd like! -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to try out those recipes!!! Could you e-mail them to me? 01chefmommy@gmail.com
      Thank you!! :)

      Delete
  2. I am sending them now :) Enjoy and let me know what you think :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Can't wait to try them out! Did you see my "Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies Take 2" post from Feb? I enjoyed the texture of those cookies quite a bit, but I'm always on the hunt for another great cookie recipe! Thanks again. :)
      http://1chefmommy.blogspot.com/2013/02/chewy-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip.html

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! Wow, those chewy peanut butter chocolate chip cookies look delicious!! I hadn't seen that post to see that you had found that perfect cookie :) The chocolate chips in those look so yummy. Happy baking!

      Delete