Friday, October 5, 2012

Snickerdoodle Blondies

pin it
 
I was on Pinterest the other day and one of my friends pinned a recipe for Snickerdoodle Blondies. It was actually her third time pinning the recipe and she said that every time she makes it, the recipe is a big hit. Then another good friend tried the same recipe and said that her family loved them too! They are bars that are soft and chewy, but taste like Snickerdoodles (cinnamon and sugar coated sugar cookies). The first time I saw them I didn't think they would be anything special, so I didn't pin the recipe. Well, by the third time I was hooked. I had to try the recipe that everyone was talking about and loving. I'm really glad I did!
   I changed the recipe, but only slightly (by using salted butter and reducing the amount of added salt).  I brought these to a PTO meeting and the dish was nearly empty by the end of the meeting. It's now one month later, and the secretary at my kids school asked for the recipe. She said that there are a few people at the school that would love to have the recipe. They were really enjoyed and well received  by everyone. I love it when that happens!  (In case you were wondering, the other most successful recipe I took to a PTO meeting was the PW Knock You Naked Brownies.)
   So, here I am. Blogging my step by step version of these yummy treats. They aren't technically brownies (because there is no cocoa powder or chocolate to make them brown). I would say they are more like Blondies, or a cookie bar. But, no matter what you call them, they are delicious and easy!

Here's how they start:

Flour goes into a mixing bowl

along with some baking powder

and salt

That gets whisked together and then set aside.

Next comes the butter. You'll need 2 sticks or 1 cup. I buy the large blocks @ Costco, so this is 1/2 of my 1 lb block. Use the salted butter. (If all you have is unsalted, just add about 1 tsp more salt to the flour.)

The butter, that is softened, goes into a large mixing bowl with some dark brown sugar. (You could use light if that is what you have on hand. The flavor just won't have as much depth.)

Two eggs go in.

And 1 Tbsp of pure vanilla extract. This is my dad's homemade vanilla, so it has lovely flecks of the vanilla seeds in it.

Everything gets beaten together on medium speed until it looks almost smooth, and light in color.

Like this:

Now, turn the mixer on the lowest setting and slowly add the flour mixture. If you add it too fast you'll end up with more flour on yourself and your kitchen than in your bowl!

Just mix it all together until well incorporated.

When it's done it will look like this:

Just scoop it all out of the bowl, and spread it into a greased 9x13 baking dish.

It's really thick, so you'll have to work with it a little bit; but make sure it's evenly spread out.

In a separate bowl, add some sugar. You're bowl doesn't need to be a bright pink toddler bowl. This is just the only clean bowl I had on hand. Don't ask. The rest are in the dishwasher now.

To the sugar, add some cinnamon,

and stir to combine.

When the cinnamon sugar is well mixed, sprinkle it evenly over the Blondie batter.

When it is all coated, it goes into a 350F oven for 25-30 minutes.

Or until a toothpick or skewer comes out clean. (I baked mine for 30 minutes and it was still a little gooey, so it needed another 3 minutes or so.)

All there is left to do is cut them while they are still warm. (This will prevent cracking later.) I just cut columns one way,

and then rows the opposite way. I was able to get 24 servings.

They are delightfully chewy on the inside.

And a little crispy and crumbly on the top from the cinnamon sugar.


The author of the blog I got the recipe from says that these stay soft at least until the next day . . . but I wouldn't know as there were none left after only a few hours. ;)
Now go make your own!

Here's the recipe:
modified from My Own Sweet Thyme via Dozen Flours

Snickerdoodle Blondies

2 2/3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups packed dark brown sugar
1 cup salted butter, at room temperature
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 Tablespoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Whisk together the flour, baking powder ans salt. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat together the butter, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla on medium speed until almost smooth, and light in color (about 4 minutes). Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat on low speed until well combined. Spread the batter out into the greased 9x13 dish. In a small bowl, combine the white sugar and cinnamon. Mix well. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar evenly over the Blondies. Bake @ 350F for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment