Saturday, December 8, 2012

Easy Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

pin it (I'm having issues with the "Pin It Button" so if it doesn't work, please copy the URL and "add the pin" to Pinterest yourself. Sorry!)

Yesterday I posted the recipe for my Fluffy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. Today I will show you what I used the frosting for . . . to fill these beautiful whoopie pies.:)
   This recipe is super easy, because it uses a box mix to start. With a little doctoring up it's the perfect batter for little pumpkin clouds of deliciousness. Enough chatting, here's what I did:

1 box of spice cake mix (I don't think brand matters).

1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

2 tsp if you really want it spice-y. (I only used 1 tsp - I'm just showing you a different view of the spices.)

1/3 cup butter, softened

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 cup milk (I beat this together with the eggs)

Pour the egg and milk mixture into the cake mix

Add a scant 2 cups of pumpkin. I made my own pumpkin puree by seeding, roasting, skinning and pureeing the pumpkin; but 1 15 oz can would be OK also.

Mix everything together with a hand mixer, until the batter is smooth.

Like this. (Don't forget to scrape down the sides to make sure that everything is mixed in.)

Use the smallest scoop you have (I think mine is a 2oz? It's 1 to 1/2 inches). Scoop out your little pumpkin clouds onto a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. They are very moist and will stick if you don't use something, so be smart and line your pans.

Each scoop will bake into one half of a whoopie pie, so make sure you make an even amount.

After they bake @ 350 for about 10 minutes this is what they look like.

While the whoopie pies are cooling, make the frosting.  A cream cheese frosting would be nice, but I was out of cream cheese so I made a buttercream frosting instead. Butter and powdered sugar get mixed together for a long time (at least 15 minutes) Then vanilla and cream are added and it is whipped together for at least another 5 minutes. The result is a Fluffy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. Isn't it beautiful? (Click on the link for the recipe.)

Once the whoopie pies are completely cooled, spread some frosting on one half,

Put a second half on top and voila!

This is the plate of whoopie pies I took to my PTO meeting. I made these beautiful pumpkin ones, and also some Peanut Butter Cup ones (recipe to come in a later post).

They are moist, soft and oh so yummy. I got rave reviews at the meeting. I hope you enjoy them too!
Here's the recipe:
adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything

Easy Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

1  Spice cake mix 
1/3 cup butter, softened 
Scant 2 cups of pumpkin puree (or 1 15 oz can)
1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (2 tsp if you like the spices to be really strong)
2 whole eggs 
1/2 cup milk

1 recipe for Fluffy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
   
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat. In a large bowl, add the cake mix, butter, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, eggs, and milk. Mix until smooth (about 1-2 minutes). Drop rounded tablespoon-sized dollops onto the lined cookie sheet. Try to make sure that they are all the same size. (I use my smallest scoop to make sure they're all the same) Bake for 10-11 minutes. Let them cool completely. Frost the bottom of one and top with another (to make a sandwich).

No comments:

Post a Comment