Friday, December 7, 2012

Fluffy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting


(I'm having issues with my pin-it buttons, so in the mean-time please copy the URL and pin it to Pinterest. Thanks! I'll get it resolved ASAP!)


I needed to whip up some frosting for my Pumpkin Whoopie Pies (recipe to come in a later post), and the first one that came to mind was a cream cheese frosting. Unfortunately I was out of cream cheese, so a buttercream would have to do.
   Having never made a buttercream frosting before I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I knew the basics. Whipped butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and a little cream. This is what I did and it turned out amazing. If I ever need a vanilla buttercream frosting again, this is the recipe I'm coming back to. Super easy, fluffy, light and oh so yummy.

Here's what I did:

2 sticks of butter went into the bowl of my electric mixer. (This is 1/2 of my 1 lb block, which translates into two sticks.) I like salted butter so that is what I used. If you like unsalted, then by all means use that.

I let the butter whip up, with a whisk attachment, for a good 5 minutes. Then I slowly added in 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar. (This is to taste. I would suggest starting with 2 cups and if it isn't sweet enough then add more. I wouldn't add more than 3 cups, though.)

Keep the mixture running and add in a splash of vanilla.

After at least 10 minutes, scrape down the bowl.

Whisk the butter again for another 5 minutes and add in a couple tablespoons of cream. (I just eyeballed this.)

After at least another 5 minutes (so you have whipped your butter-cream for a minimum of 20 minutes total) check the consistency. Is it light? Check. Is it fluffy? Check. Does it look more like stiff whipped cream than butter? Check. And most importantly, does it taste heavenly? Double Check!

That's it! Isn't it gorgeous?

Like I mentioned earlier I used this recipe to fill my Pumpkin Whoopie Pies, but the possibilities are endless. Happy frosting!

Here's the recipe:
adapted from Gale Gand

Fluffy Vanilla Butter-Cream Frosting

1 cup butter
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar (to taste)
1 to 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 Tbsp cream

In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the butter on medium to high speed for 5 minutes until smooth. On low, slowly add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Turn the mixer to high and whisk for at least 10 minutes. Scrape down the bowl. Turn the mixer back on medium speed whip for at least 5 more minutes and drizzle in the cream. Whip for at least another 5 more minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy. (This frosting needs to be whipped for a minimum of 20 minutes total to get to the right consistency.) It should look like stiff whipped cream. Frost a cake, cupcakes or fill whoopie pies. The possibilities are endless. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment