Thursday, March 28, 2013

Awesome Pot Roast

Isn't it about time for me to post some "real food?" (Not that cookies and sweet treats aren't considered real food, because they are in my book.) I'm talking about some stick to your ribs, comfort food that is easy to boot? Well, this is that food. I make this pot roast when I'm having company over and don't have time to cook all day. It does it's thing in the crock-pot while I go about my day, taking care of what needs to get done.
   The meat is fall apart tender and has a flavor that can't be beat. I honestly never measure the ingredients I just dump and cook and it always turns out great. I did provide measurements for the recipe, but they are mostly guidelines. :) This is a variation on a recipe that I found on Allrecipes.com for Awesome Slow Cooker Pot Roast. With a couple of small tweaks it's a recipe that I have used (and will continue to use) time and time again.
   These are the main ingredients, besides the roast of course (and veggies too). If you don't like mushroom soup a good substitute would be cream of celery and french onion.

You start with a 7 bone chuck roast. Bones always lend more flavor, so if you can purchase a roast with the bone in you should. (FYI: They call it a "7 bone" because the bone is in the shape of a number 7.) Put the roast into the crock pot and sprinkle on the dry onion soup mix. (You can also stir in the dry mix with the other ingredients, but I feel like the meat gets more seasoning this way. I've done it both ways. Whichever you prefer is fine.)

In a mixing bowl, combine the two cans of soup and some Worcestershire sauce. (I just shake the bottle a few times. I guess it's about 2 Tbsp.)

Stir it all together until it's completely combined.

At the last minute I decided to add some garlic. About 2 or 3 cloves minced (2-3 tsp)

I put a dry bay leaf or two on top of the roast,

and then I pour on the soup mixture.

You'll also need to add 1 can of water. (Some people like to add this to the soup mixture before pouring on top and that is fine too. There really is no way to mess this recipe up.)

Nothing left to do but put the lid on top and set it to low for the rest of the day. The size of your roast will determine how long you need to cook for. A 5-6 lb roast will need about 8 -9 hours. Mine is larger (almost 8 lbs) so I cooked it around 11 hours.

If you are home, and you remember, you can turn the roast half way through cooking, but it's not essential. (This was my roast after 5 hours - I flipped it.)

After 8-9 hours you should be able to fish out the bones. - It's that tender. I also take this opportunity to remove any large pieces of fat. They've given all they need to at this point.

An hour before you want to serve, this is when you will add your veggies. I like a mixture of potatoes and carrots, but you can add what you like.

After 1 hour, the veggies should be tender. Just skim the fat off the top . . . 

and serve.  It might not be the prettiest meal but it is sure one of the tastiest. It always receives compliments.
So, take a load off. Put a roast in the crock pot and enjoy some good, home cookin' comfort food.

Here's the recipe:
adapted from Awesome Slow Cooker Pot Roast

Awesome Pot Roast

5 - 7 lb bone in chuck roast (7 bone if you can find it)
1 10 3/4 oz can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 10 3/4 can of condensed golden mushroom soup
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 packet dry onion soup mix
1 can (about 1 1/4 cup) water
1 to 2 dry bay leaves
2 to 3 cloves of garlic minced (2-3 tsp)
freshly ground black pepper (to taste)

Put the roast into the bottom of the crock pot. Sprinkle the onion soup mix on top and lay the bay leaf (leaves) on top. Mix together the soups, Worcestershire, garlic and water. Pour over the roast and cook on low for 8-9 hours. Remove any bones and large pieces of fat. Add you veggies of choice (optional), cut into bite sized chunks, and continue to cook on low for 1 more hour.  When the veggies and meat are tender, turn the crock pot off, skim the fat off the top of the "gravy" and serve immediately. **A great meal with my No Knead French Bread and a fresh salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment