Monday, January 14, 2013

Kim's Coconut Syrup


So, I just shared my recipe for unbelievably fluffy pancakes with a hint of cinnamon, and now I'm going to show you how to make those pancakes (or your waffles, or crepes, or even a cardboard box) taste over the top. My friend Kim's Coconut Pancake Syrup. It really is amazing.
   The recipe makes 4 cups, and I was thinking that we would use it for our pancake breakfast (pictured above) and then I would give the rest to my mom because she loves coconut. Well, we ended up using 1 cup of it at breakfast and then loving it so much that we ate more the next day. And then again this morning. Needless to say, my mother only got about 1 cup of the stuff. ;)
   I was tempted to tweak the recipe, like I do with almost everything, but I didn't. What you see here is her recipe to the "T"  The only thing I would suggest is that if you want your syrup to be extra coconut-y you could add some coconut extract. Try it without and see what you think.
  I promise, you won't be disappointed.

It starts with 1 can of coconut milk. Any brand will do. I buy whatever is on sale that week. Just pour it all into a medium sauce pot.
 

Then 2 Tbsp of cornstarch are added.

They are whisked together until smooth. When they are combined, turn the heat on to medium high.

Add 2 cups of light corn syrup.

1/2 cup each of white sugar,

and shredded coconut.

When it comes up to a rolling boil, take it off the heat and cool to room temperature before serving. (I couldn't wait that long, so mine is warm and a little thin but it thickens more as it cools.

Just pour this coconut syrup over your fluffy pancakes and devour. It makes every morning like a mini Hawaiian vacation. (Maybe not your whole morning, but at least while you are enjoying your pancakes.)

Here's the recipe:
Coconut Pancake Syrup

Kim's Coconut Syrup

1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups light corn syrup
 
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
Whisk together the coconut milk and cornstarch in a saucepan until the cornstarch is dissolved. Pour in the corn syrup, sugar, and coconut; bring to a boil, stirring continually. As soon as the mixture comes to a rolling boil, remove from heat. Allow to cool completely before serving.

1 comment:

  1. 3 Studies REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    This means that you literally get rid of fat by consuming coconut fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete