Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My Take on Heuvos Rancheros

 So, this post is not like my usual posts - with step by step pictures and instructions. This is just a snap shot of my lunch that I just finished eating (and it was also the dinner that I prepared for my amazing husband last night). It was so good I couldn't help but share. :)
  I call this Huevos Rancheros - but it's not really. It's not authentic, and it's not how your abuela (grandma) would make it, but it rings all the same bells and blows all the same whistles. The basics are a fried egg served on top of a fried tortilla with beans and salsa (rice and avocado are sometimes used as well). My version has a corn quesadilla, cooked until golden and crispy, topped with "Cuban Style" black beans, a fried egg (over easy for me please) and topped with "picante" sauce. All of these things I had on hand in my fridge or pantry so this was a quick, and cheap, meal that I whipped up with hardly any effort. It was REALLY tasty to boot!
   There's no real recipe here, just giving you an idea for a quick, easy, cheap meal that is completely delicious and satisfying. :) Everything is "to taste."  I hope you try your own version out and let me know how it goes!

Here's my "recipe":

2 corn tortillas
shredded mozzarella
"Cuban Style" canned black beans (You could substitute regular black beans, with a little cumin, onion powder, garlic powder and hot sauce.)
1 fried egg
salsa or picante sauce

In a small sauce pan, heat up the beans over medium heat until bubbly. Heat a skillet up on medium high heat. Place a tortilla down and top with some cheese. Put the other tortilla on top. Cook over medium high heat until the bottom tortilla is slightly golden brown and crispy. Flip and do the same to the second side. (You've just made a quesadilla!) When the quesadilla is toasted on both sides, and the cheese is melted, put it on a plate. Use the hot skillet to fry your egg. (I just spray the skillet with non-stick cooking spray and cook the egg over medium heat. When the outside of the egg is white, I flip it and cook for another minute or two. Cooking the egg white but leaving the middle of the yolk runny. That's called "over easy." My husband likes his cooked to death, or "over hard." You make yours the way you would like.) Top the quesadilla with the hot beans and the fried egg. Finish with some salsa or picante sauce to your liking. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment