Monday, January 14, 2013

Fluffy Cinnamon Scented Pancakes

I found a recipe for Fluffy Pancakes via a friend on Pinterest, but I thought the batter was too thick. The hubby prefers very thin pancakes, and I like mine more fluffy. So, I tweaked it a bit (added more milk, reduced the salt, and used cinnamon sugar instead of white sugar). And now I think it's a home-run!
  So, of course, I'm sharing with all of you. No reason to keep such a yummy pancake recipe to myself. :)

I started with the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar (I used cinnamon sugar), and salt. I prefer to just whisk them all together, instead of dirtying my sifter. But do as you wish. - You may be asking yourself: Why I'm using cinnamon sugar? Well, it just so happens that I always keep a container full of the stuff. My parents always had one of those old, white, Tupperware salt and pepper shakers filled with cinnamon sugar when I was a little girl. I loved to sprinkle it over my buttered toast and enjoy cinnamon toast in the mornings. So, now I follow suit. I keep a syrup dispenser filled with cinnamon sugar. (My parents would keep their white sugar in a syrup dispenser, so I feel a little nostalgia keeping my cinnamon sugar in one.)  This way I already have them premixed for many uses (cinnamon toast, Snickerdoodles, Monkey Bread, Zeppole, Snickerdoodle Blondies, my Rustic Pear Torte any many many other things). So, I used cinnamon sugar in this recipe.

In a separate container (I used a Pyrex measuring cup) combine milk, and vinegar and set aside to "sour." - The milk will start to curdle. You could also use buttermilk in place of the milk + vinegar mixture.

To the soured milk, I added a little melted butter

and one large egg. (I've used an extra large egg before, and the batter was too thin so I had to add more flour. Use what you have on hand, but a large egg is best.)

Mix all the wet ingredients together with a fork. - At this point you could also add 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract, but I kind of like the pure, buttery, pancake flavor.

Mix the wet and dry together,

and whisk until mostly smooth. You don't want to over mix the batter, or you will have tough pancakes. Just mix until everything is incorporated and then leave it alone. Don't worry about the lumps, they will cook out later.

Heat up your skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. (I usually slather the skillet with butter and almost fry my pancakes, but I thought I would be good today and cut a few calories.)
Using a 1/4 cup measure, pour out a few pancakes.

Give them enough room so that they cook separately.  When you start to see the bubbles break and set, it's time to flip.

They should be a lovely golden brown on the one side now. Continue to cook another minute or two, until the second side is browned also.

Nothing left to do but stack 'em and eat 'em.

They are delicious plain, if you like that sort of thing. (On a busy morning I will just smear mine with peanut butter, fold it in half and run out the door.)

But if you really want to set these over the top, you really need to try my friend Kim's recipe for her Coconut Pancake Syrup. This will be my next post, so keep your eyes open. This one is a keeper!
Here's the recipe:
adapted from Fluffy Pancakes

Fluffy Cinnamon Scented Pancakes

2 Tbsp salted butter, melted
1 cup milk, room temperature
2 Tbsp white vinegar
1 large egg, room temperature
2 Tbsp cinnamon sugar (or 2 Tbsp white sugar and 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup all purpose flour
cooking spray

Combine the milk and vinegar and set aside to "sour." Sift or whisk the dry ingredients together (cinnamon sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and flour). To the soured milk, add the melted butter, and egg. Whisk to combine. Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients and whisk until just combined. DO NOT over mix! A few lumps are o.k. Heat a skillet up ever medium to medium high heat. When the skillet is hot, spray with some non-stick cooking spray and measure out 1/4 cup of the batter for each pancake. Cook until you see bubbles form, break and set on the top of the pancakes and the bottoms are golden brown. Flip each pancake and continue to cook until the second side is brown. Serve hot. Makes about 10 pancakes (depending on how full you make the 1/4 cup).

1 comment:

  1. They are looking amazing!I love Fluffy Cinnamon Pancakes and have been wanting to make them at home, thanks for sharing the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete