Monday, June 4, 2012

Breakfast Biscuit Muffins

pin it
I saw this recipe on Pinterest, and I thought Why haven't I thought of this before? I already love making the refrigerator biscuits into breakfast sandwiches, but I never thought to wrap the dough around the filling and then bake it. It does take longer than just making the straight up breakfast biscuits, but I think they are a little better, and much better suited for eating on the go.  No more dropping pieces of egg or bacon on the carpet as I run after my two year old. I suppose it would make for easier eating on the way to work outside the home as well.  :)
  As you've probably already guessed, this in no way is a muffin - other than it is cooked in a muffin tin. This makes it cute, portable, and it is automatic portion control (though it doesn't stop me from eating three portions).
   As with most recipes, I did change it to fit what I had on hand, and my family's preferences.
   This has opened my eyes to a whole new world of stuffed bread sandwiches. I'm imagining making a Philly cheese steak version, a sweet berry and cream cheese version, a chicken pot pie version . . . I'll just show you the bacon, egg and cheese version today. :)

Here's what I did:
I like to bring my eggs to room temperature before cooking, so I started with them first. 6 large eggs . . .

2 Tbsp milk,

1/4 tsp salt,

and a few grinds of black pepper (optional). I whisked the eggs until everything was combined and set them aside for later.

Next comes the bacon.  I cut one pound of bacon in half . . .

and then cut one half into strips. Now I have little bacon pieces. Easy right?

I put the bacon pieces into a large skillet, and let them cook over medium high heat until browned.

While the bacon cooked, I turned my attention to the refrigerator biscuits. The original recipe said to use a can of 10 regular sized biscuits. I only had the big "Flaky Layer" kind at my disposal, and those come 8 in a can but it worked out well.

The sandwich (in my humble opinion) should be more about the filling than the bread, so I split each biscuit in half. This is where the "Flaky Layer" kind comes in handy. I just split the layers down the middle (or as close as I could get it), just like you would after they were baked to add butter or jam or whatever your pleasurable spread is. You will only need to split 6 of the 8 biscuits. This will make 12 Breakfast Biscuit Muffins. The other 2, you can just bake up as regular biscuits.

Then I took each half and rolled it out probably to 1/8 inch thick. You just want it big enough to wrap around your filling.

The bacon is done now (actually a little over done, but that's o.k.). It comes off and gets drained on some paper towels.

I used 1 Tbsp of the bacon drippings to cook the scrambled eggs in.

I cook the eggs over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until the eggs are cooked through. (We don't like runny eggs in our house, but if that is what "makes your skirt fly up" as The Pioneer Woman says then by all means, take the eggs of the heat when they are still runny.)

When the eggs are cooked to your liking, take them off the heat.

It's assembly time! Take one flattened biscuit round and put some eggs on top (about 1-2 Tbsp, it will be 1/2 egg for each biscuit).

Next comes the bacon (about 1 Tbsp).

Last comes the cheese. You can use shredded cheddar cheese, but it doesn't stay all melty and gooey, so I opted for good ol' American sliced cheese. I split a piece in half,

and then split one of the halves in half. Now I have two quarters. (Really difficult 1st and 2nd grade math at work here.)

You can add one quarter of cheese, or two. I would recommend two. Just layer them to cover the bacon and eggs.

The last step is to fold over the biscuit dough around the filling. Just lift, pull and press down. The dough sticks to itself very easily.

This is what it looks like when it is all wrapped up.

Place them seam side down into a greased regular size 12 count muffin tin.

I whipped up one egg with a splash of water (I'm making an egg wash) . . .

and then I brushed the egg wash on all the Biscuit Muffin tops.

I also ground some fresh black pepper on top, but this is optional.

They go into a preheated 375F oven for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Some of them will ooze their cheese, but that is o.k.

They should cool for a couple minutes before you dig in (just so that you don't burn your fingers and your mouth. If you burn your taste buds you won't be able to find out just how delicious these are. :)
Aren't they adorable? I think almost anything baked in a muffin tin is automatically at least 5 times cuter than it would be in any other form. Don't you agree?

Some of them will be beautiful and puffy. Others will looked a little wrinkled. They will all taste scrumptious!

See how gooey and irresistible they look? SO good!!  Are you ready to make them yet?
 Here's the recipe:
adapted from Breakfast Muffins via yummymummyclub

Breakfast Biscuit Muffins

1 can of Grands Flaky Layer Biscuits (you'll need 6 of the 8 biscuits in the can)
1/2 pound of bacon, cut into small pieces and cooked, and drained
6 eggs
2 Tbsp milk
1/4 tsp salt
pepper (to taste)
1 Tbsp bacon drippings (can use butter or oil instead)
6 slices of American Cheese
1 egg mixed with 1 Tbsp water (egg wash)
pepper (to taste)

Preheat oven to 375F. Split 6 of the biscuits in half horizontally, using the flaky layers as a guide. Roll each piece into a circle, about 4 or 5 inches across (1/8 inch thick). Whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper together and cook with 1 Tbsp of fat (I use the bacon drippings, but butter or oil would work too). Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until they are cooked to your preferred texture. When the eggs are done take them off the heat.
Place one flattened biscuit round and put 1-2 Tbsp of scrambled egg in the middle. Top with about 1 Tbsp of bacon and 1/2 slice of cheese (cut into half and layered to just cover the bacon and eggs). You want everything to stay in the center of the dough. Pull the edges of the dough up and to the center, pressing the seams together so the filling is completely enclose (see pictures above). Place seam side down into a greased 12 count muffin tin. Brush the tops with the egg wash and grind some fresh black pepper on top (optional). Cook @ 375F for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Let sit 5 minutes and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment