Thursday, June 21, 2012

Stove Top Popcorn 3 ways : Salted, Maple Bacon and Kettle Corn

I've been wanting to make stove top popcorn for a while, but we don't have any kernels at my house, and I kept forgetting every time I went to the store, to buy some. So, I went without. Now that I'm here at my in-laws I'm doing my fair share of the cooking, and I'm starting to figure out where things are in their pantry/cupboards. What do you think I found? I HUGE bag of popcorn kernels (and a smaller plastic container already filled with some, ready for the popping)! Needless to say, I was excited and couldn't wait to pop some corn.
I'll show you pictures for your basic salted popcorn, but I will also include the recipes for Kettle Corn (a sweet and salty treat that is always good in my book) and my new addiction: Maple Bacon Popcorn. I wanted to try out a Garlic and Rosemary Parmesan Popcorn, but I got too full with the other batches that I made. That recipe will have to wait for another time.
Stove top popcorn is a way better option than anything you can get from a package at the store. You get to control the ingredients and you know what is (and what's not) going into it. Have you ever opened one of those popcorn packs unpopped? Gross.
I'm a firm believer that homemade is always better (but I do take some shortcuts here and there when needed). I concocted my popping technique by mashing together the instructions for popping corn from Simply Recipes and Alton Brown's Perfect Popcorn.  This is an easy way to produce an abundance of popped corn with hardly any unpopped kernels.
I hope you get inspired and start popping your own corn. I mean it . . . go pop some corn, you'll thank me later. :)
You'll need a big, heavy bottomed pot that you don't mind getting messed up. (Some scorching can result from adding sweet things like sugar and maple syrup). I wouldn't recommend using a pan you love, unless it's a "popcorn only pan." - I had never heard of such a thing until I was researching stove top popcorn. - I didn't think my in-laws would mind me using this one, as it already had pocks in the bottom. I scrubbed it out well when I was done. :)

Next, take some heavy duty aluminum foil and make a "lid" for the pan. Why don't you just use the lid that came with the pan? "Patience Grasshopper." You'll see.

Take a knife and prodigiously perforate the foil. (Poke lots of holes in it.) This will let steam escape while keeping the popcorn in the pot.

You want a lot of holes. I actually went back and added more after I took this shot.

Then, take the "lid" off, but still keep it's shape. Set it aside for later.

To the pot, add 2 Tbsp of oil. Ideally you want a high temp cooking oil here, but anything from olive oil to bacon fat will work. (Both good choices I might add.)

Let the oil heat up over medium high heat, and add 1/4 tsp of salt (1/4 - 1/2 tsp depending on your taste).

And drop in 2-3 kernels.

When the kernels pop, the oil is hot.

Dump in one rounded 1/3 cup of kernels, and shake them into a single layer. (If you want to make Kettle Corn, you would add 2 tsp sugar at this point as well.)

Put your "lid" back on the pot, and then take the pot off the heat. Count to 30 (out loud - it's fun), and then put the pot back on the heat. Shaking continuously, pop the kernels over medium high heat for a couple minutes until the popping slows (just like microwave popcorn).

At that point, turn off the heat, take of the "lid" and stir the kernels around.

Immediately dump into a large container (I used an oversized disposable pie tin), so that the popcorn doesn't steam. You can also dump it into a paper bag - this helps if you want to pour on melted butter, or add more salt. Just shake it in the bag to coat all the kernels.  I opted for no butter.
Nothing left to do, but eat, eat, eat, smile. Repeat.
Here's the recipe:

Stove Top Popcorn

2 T oil
rounded 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)


Using aluminum foil, make a "lid" for a big, heavy bottomed pot. Using a knife, poke holes all over the "lid" to let out steam while cooking. Remove the "lid" and set aside. Add the oil to the pot and heat it up over medium high heat, drop in 2-3 kernels and salt. When the kernels pop the oil is hot. Dump in the rest of the kernels and shake into an even layer. Put the perforated "lid" on and take off the heat. Count to 30. Put back on medium heat, and shake continuously for a couple minutes until the popping slows. Turn off the heat, carefully stir the popcorn and dump it into a large bowl, paper bag or onto a cookie sheet to cool without steaming. Enjoy!


Maple Bacon Popcorn

2 Tbsp Bacon Grease (You can crisp up 4 slices of bacon, use the grease in the pan to pop the corn and top the finished popcorn with the crispy bacon if you wish)
1/4 tsp salt
rounded 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
2 tsp maple syrup (to taste- the more you add the stickier it will be)

Using aluminum foil, make a "lid" for a big, heavy bottomed pot. Using a knife, poke holes all over the "lid" to let out steam while cooking. Remove the "lid" and set aside. Add the bacon grease (if you didn't cook bacon in the pot already) to the pot and heat it up over medium high heat, drop in 2-3 kernels and salt. When the kernels pop the oil is hot. Dump in the rest of the kernels and shake into an even layer. Put the perforated "lid" on and take off the heat. Count to 30. Put back on medium heat, and shake continuously for a couple minutes until the popping slows. Turn off the heat, drizzle on the maple syrup and carefully stir the popcorn. Dump it into a large bowl, paper bag or onto a cookie sheet to cool without steaming. Enjoy!

Kettle Corn

2 Tbsp oil
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
rounded 1/3 cup popcorn kernels

Using aluminum foil, make a "lid" for a big, heavy bottomed pot. Using a knife, poke holes all over the "lid" to let out steam while cooking. Remove the "lid" and set aside. Add the oil to the pot and heat it up over medium high heat, drop in 2-3 kernels and salt. When the kernels pop the oil is hot. Dump in the rest of the kernels and the sugar. Shake into an even layer. Put the perforated "lid" on and take off the heat. Count to 30. Put back on medium heat, and shake continuously for a couple minutes until the popping slows. Turn off the heat, stir the popcorn and dump it into a large bowl, paper bag or onto a cookie sheet to cool without steaming. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment