Sunday, June 3, 2012

Sweet Pina-Colada Rice

pin it
Dinner tonight was Sweet Pina-Colada Rice and Carnitas. It was a simple meal that was done in 20 minutes or so, and it was very scrumptious - if I do say so myself.
  I decided to do my Pina-Colada Rice a little differently, because I was out of brown rice and I felt like having a sweeter version tonight. So, I made it with white rice, added more sugar and some vanilla and coconut extracts (to bump up the irresistible coco-nuttiness that makes this dish so yummy) and it was a big hit. My adorable husband said that this was the best Pina-Colada Rice I've made yet. I had to laugh a little. It's so tasty because it's sweet - and he is known as the "Sugar Nazi" around here. :)  . . . Still chuckling a little . . . OK I'm done now.
   So, since it was such a big hit I thought I would share my alterations with you. The measurements might not be exact, because I just tossed in what I thought felt right, but I'll try to approximate as best I can. What's important is that you taste it and see how much salt or sugar you like. I didn't take step by step pictures, because I didn't know I was going to change my recipe until I was in the middle of making it. :)
If you want the old recipe here it is.

Here is the newest version:

Sweet Pina-Colada Rice

1 13.5 oz can of unsweetened coconut milk (I used lite, but full fat will work too)
1/2 said can of water
1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
2 Tbsp sugar (to taste)
1 full cup of long grain white rice, rinsed
1 20 oz can of crushed pineapple in 100% juice
1/4 tsp coconut extract
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Put the coconut milk in a medium sauce pot. Fill the now empty can 1/2 way with water and add to the milk. Add salt, sugar and rice. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook 18 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 18 minutes, add the can of crushed pineapple - juice and all. Bring up to a simmer and turn off heat. Add the coconut and vanilla extracts. Stir and then cover and let sit for 5 minutes.

I hope you like this new version. Try it out and let me know what you think.  :) Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. 3 Studies REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you actually burn fat by consuming Coconut Fats (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete