Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Pina-Colada Rice


     I made this rice one night when I knew my mother was coming over for dinner. She loves coconut, and my kids love pineapple. Who doesn't love them together? I continue to make it because it's so yummy! Tonight I made it as an accompaniment to the Brown Butter Tilapia and Sauteed Zucchini Ribbons. I needed a "dinner in a hurry" so I used par-cooked boxed brown rice, instead of the usual white rice.

Here's what you'll need:
Rice, 1can unsweetened coconut milk, 1 can of crushed pineapple, chicken bullion granules, butter, sauce pan, *sugar, butter

Start by draining the can of crushed pineapple. Save the juice for making Brown Butter Tilapia, or anything you wish.

If I were using white rice, now would be when I would melt 1 Tablespoon of butter in a sauce pan and then add my 3/4 cup rice. Toast the rice in the butter for just a couple minutes - until you smell it. You don't want to put color on the rice, you just want to bring out it's slight nuttiness. (Basmati and Jasmine rice are excellent choices.)
BUT Since I needed a quick dinner, and I am using a par-cooked box rice, I need to bring the liquid to a boil first. So this is what I did this time:

While the pineapple drains, pour 1 14 oz can of coconut milk into a sauce pan. (I used lite coconut milk, but the regular version works just as well.)

Put it on the stove, over medium heat.


When it comes to a boil . . .


 add your rice. (If you're using white rice, you started with that in the pan earlier!)
Use the amount of rice specified on the box (add 1/4 cup water if you need to have 2 cups liquid per the box instructions.)


ADD about 1 tsp chicken bouillon granules and 1 tsp sugar (I added about 1 tsp this time, but others I make it sweeter by adding a full Tablespoon. I would say add 1 tsp and then taste it when it's done. If you want it sweeter, add more. :)
(My camera refused to take pictures of this step. Don't ask me why - I don't know. But do add these ingredients they make the rice yummy.)

Stir, turn the heat down to simmer/low, cover and cook 20 minutes for white rice (or follow the directions on the boxed rice - for my par-cooked brown rice, it needed to cook for 8 minutes. Do what the directions tell you.)
When the rice is done, turn off heat and add the drained pineapple.

Stir and serve.
I think the rice looks prettier when made with white rice, but I used brown today. Oh well. You can at least see the delicious pineapple chunks and how creamy the dish is.

As with all my recipes, customize to fit your preferences. :)
Here's the recipe:

Pina-Colada Rice

1 Tablespoon butter
3/4 cup rice
1 can coconut milk (unsweetened)
1 tsp chicken bouillon granules
1 tsp sugar (or more if you like it sweet)
1 can drained crushed pineapple

Melt butter in sauce pan. Add rice and cook for a couple minutes, until you smell it. Add coconut milk, chicken bouillon granules and sugar. Bring to a boil. Stir, cover and turn heat down to low. Simmer for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in drained pineapple.

1 comment:

  1. 3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    This means that you actually burn fat by eating Coconut Fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from large medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete