Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Zeppole with a Nutella Dipping Sauce


I was looking online and saw a recipe for Utah Scones. They are nothing more than a fried yeast dough. This made me think of Zeppole - an Italian, fried yeast dough. I thought about the pizza dough I have in the fridge and there was not much time between that thought, and me filling a pot of oil to fry me up some dough. :)

This couldn't be easier - or tastier!
Just take any yeast dough you like, (I'm using my Mama's Pizza Dough.)

 and cut it into small pieces. You can roll it into balls, or just leave them in organic rough cut shapes. Whatever you like.
Heat a couple inches of oil up in a large pot, to 350F. (My candy thermometer up and disappeared one day, so I test my oil by putting the end of a wooden spoon in it. If it starts to bubble, the oil is ready.)

 Gently place the dough pieces in the oil and fry until golden brown. - Only a few pieces at once, you don't want to crowd the pan. 

When the edges barely start turning brown, you'll want to start flipping them over. It only takes a minute. Work quickly. If you wait too long, they won't want to flip at all.

When they are golden and delicious, take them out and drain them on some paper towels.

You can eat them plain, like "Utah Scones" and dip them in jam or honey butter. Or . . .
You can combine some cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl. (About 1/4 cup sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon, but it's to taste)

Just place the hot dough balls in the cinnamon sugar,

and toss them around until coated.

Now for the sauce.
I starts with this gift from God. I first fell in love with Nutella when it was served to me spread on a crepe, on the streets of Paris. I love everything Nutella! Now I keep it as a pantry staple - at all times. It's easily found in any grocery store, but I buy the extra large size that comes in a double pack @ Costco.  I'm telling you - it's heavenly.

I used about 1/2 cup.

I poured in about 1/4 cup of milk

and I just stirred it until it came together. (Sorry the picture is a little blurry. I was just so excited to start dipping!)

There. A beautifully, shiny dipping sauce.


See how light and fluffy?

Now back to the dipping. Mmmmm.

You can be nice and share, or you can horde them all for yourself. I had eaten most of them by the time this shot was taken, but I did save some for the family. - My camera is going to need a good cleaning to get the cinnamon sugar and Nutella off of it.  So messy, but so worth it!

How easy was that?  (FYI you can use any refrigerator canned dough from the grocery store too, in case you're not like me and have pizza dough just waiting for you in the fridge.) :)

Happy eating!

Here's the recipe:

Zeppole with a Nutella Dipping Sauce

Any prepared yeast dough (I used Mama's Pizza Dough)
vegetable oil for frying
1/2 cup cinnamon
2 tsp - 1 Tbsp cinnamon

Nutella Dipping Sauce

1/2 cup Nutella spread
1/4 cup milk

Cut the dough into bite sized pieces. Heat up a couple inches of oil in a large pot to 350F. Gently place a few pieces of dough in at a time. When the edges start to brown, flip them over. When they are browned on both sides, remove them from the oil and drain on a paper towel. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl. Place fried zeppole into cinnamon sugar and toss to coat.
In a small bowl mix together Nutella and milk until smooth. Dip zeppole in and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment