Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Chewy Cookies and Cream Cookies

I'm always on the hunt for new cookie recipes. I came across this one for Chewy Cookies and Cream Cookies, and I couldn't help but try it out. I followed the directions for the original recipe, but find that I like them better with a couple of tweaks. There weren't enough changes to warrant a name change, so I am giving full credit to Kerbie Cravings. Although, next time I make these I might use a different sugar cookie dough recipe and put the oreos into that one and see which one I like best.
  This is basically a sugar cookie with crushed oreos mixed in. "How bad could that be?" (I hear Ina Garten in my head sometimes - do you? . . . No? . . . I guess it's just me.)
  
Here's what you do.
Put some butter and sugar in a bowl. The original recipe says 2 sticks of butter, I found they came out flatter and chewier with another 1/2 stick added.

Cream them together and then add two eggs, "One at the time." (Paula Deen - still no one else hearing chefs in their heads? OK I guess it's still just me.)

Some vanilla,

baking soda,

and baking powder go in, and get all mixed together.

Next comes the flour. 2 3/4 cups.

Last, but certainly not least, comes the Oreos (or any off brand name cookie you choose). The reduced fat kind offsets the extra butter I added earlier, right?

The original recipe says to add the cookies whole and then just beat them in. I tried . . .

It didn't work. I had cookie dough and Oreo shrapnel flying all over the kitchen and the cookies still didn't break down that much.

So, I fished out the partially mutilated sandwich cookies and crushed them with my fingers. Next time I will crush them in a bag first and then add the pieces to the dough.

When it's all mixed together, it's time to scoop.

You can use a disher/scoop like I did, or you can use a Tablespoon. You want about 1 1/2 inch cookie rounds. Place them on a lined cookie sheet (either silpat or parchment paper will do).

They go into a 350F oven for 10 minutes.

They will puff while baking and then settle slightly while cooling.

Nothing left to do, but serve yourself a tall glass of milk and start munching!

As always, I put some on a plate to go into the freezer. Once they are individually frozen I put them into a labeled zip-top freezer bag and keep them for another time. This way I can bake up as much or as little any time I want in a snap!  This also helps with portion control. Let's be honest. If I made the whole batch (4 dozen I think) I would eat them all.
Here's the recipe:
adapted from kirbiecravings.com

Chewy Cookies and Cream Cookies



Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Mix in the baking soda, and baking powder. Gradually add the flour and mix until well combined. Add the crushed Oreos until blended well. Scoop out by the tablespoon (about 1 1/2 inch round ball) and place onto the lined cookie sheets - about 2 inches apart.
Bake about 10-11 minutes in the preheated oven, or until slightly golden around the edges. DO NOT OVER BAKE (this will cause them to be more crunchy and less chewy). They will puff while cooking and then fall when they cool.

1 1/4 cup salted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
14 Oreo cookies, crushed

No comments:

Post a Comment