Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Dark Chocolate Bombshell Brownies




I went to book club a couple weeks ago, and my friend Kim served these delicious brownies. Being the chocoholic that I am, I definitely love brownies. I'm not, however, much of a fan of homemade brownies. Say what you want to about me, but I think that the perfect brownie is a Dark Chocolate, boxed brownie (yes I said boxed) made with only one egg, and baked in a 9x13 pan. That's the trick. No matter what the directions on the back of the box say, I only ever use one egg. The brownies come out thin, dense and incredibly chewy!
  So, even though I'm not a fan of homemade brownies, I still had two (yes, I went back for seconds) of these brownies at book club. They weren't as thin or dense as I prefer, but they were still pretty chewy, dark and very tasty!  I asked for the recipe and she gave me the print out she had from Allrecipes for Brooke's Best Bombshell Brownies. I halved the recipe and my son used it for his science project. (He wanted to see what eggs do in brownies, so he made 1/2 the batch with eggs and 1/2 without.)
I'm going to continue to tinker with this recipe, so that I can try and replicate my favorite boxed brownies, but as is these are amazingly scrumptious!
Here's what you'll need:
unsalted butter, sugar, vanilla, flour, cocoa, salt, chocolate chips, and eggs (not pictured)
In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, melted butter,

and vanilla.

Mix together and then add two eggs.

Mix well and then add salt,

flour,

and Hershey's Special Dark Unsweetened Cocoa Powder. (This is one of the secrets to this recipe. The original recipe just says "cocoa powder" but if you use the dark version these brownies come out especially rich and decadent.)

Mix it all together.

Add in some chocolate chips.

Then spread it out into the pan. The batter will be nice and thick.

In case you were wondering, this is my son's science experiment. The one on the right has no eggs. He did everything else the same. We put them both in the oven @ 350F for 30 minutes or so.

Until a tester came out with just a couple crumbs.

This was them after they baked. (The one without eggs never came together. It tastes like a cookie crust your would use for cheese cake. I actually did use it for a jell-o cheese cake dessert, because I didn't want to throw it out after the science experiment was done.) 
***Update: My son won 2nd place for this experiment! So proud. :)

Once they cooled, I cut them into squares. See how luscious and melty and chewy?

I couldn't decide which shot I liked best, so here are a couple more. :)


Here's the recipe:

Dark Chocolate Bombshell Brownies

1 cup unsalted butter, melted
3 cups sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup Hershey's Special Dark unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.
Combine the melted butter, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each, until thoroughly blended.
Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Gradually stir the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture until blended. Stir in the chocolate chips. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking dish.
Bake in preheated oven until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove, and cool pan on wire rack before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment