Monday, May 21, 2012

Glazed Doughnut Muffins


I was looking in Pinterest for new muffin recipe ideas and stumbled upon this one. It's just like the Cinnamon and Sugar Topped Doughnut Muffins that are out there, but this one is dipped in a glaze. Since I found the cinnamon sugar ones lacking - in that they didn't taste like doughnuts, I thought the glazed version might help. 
Not so much. They are still tasty muffins, but they don't taste like doughnuts. I think I should just stop expecting a muffin to taste like a doughnut. A muffin's a muffin and a doughnut is a doughnut. Perhaps someday I will come across (or invent) the perfect recipe that does the impossible, but for now I haven't found it. 
This is a tasty muffin, though, if you want a change from your regular, run of the mill muffin. The only changes I made, was I substituted 1/2 of the fat in the recipe for apple sauce. Other than that it's pretty identical to original recipe.

Here's what I did:
 
I put butter, whit sugar and brown sugar into a bowl, and creamed them together the best I could.

Then I added the applesauce.

Then come the eggs, beaten in one at a time.

Baking powder and baking soda

cinnamon

nutmeg

salt

 and vanilla. That gets all mixed together, and then . . .

some of the flour comes next.

Then 1/2 the milk.

More flour.

The last of the milk.

And the last of the flour.

When everything is thoroughly combined, and the bowl has been scraped down, I use a disher to scoop out enough batter to fill my muffin cups 3/4 the way full. (I used both mini muffin tins and standard sized muffin tins.)

While the muffins cooked in 425F oven, I made a glaze.
Powdered sugar, water and melted butter went into a bowl.

It got all whisked together until wonderfully smooth.

When the muffins are out of the oven and mostly cooled, dip them into the glaze . . .

and set them on a rack to catch any drippy glaze. If you would like a little more sweetness, you can let the first coating set and then dip the muffin tops a second time.

These are some of my standard sized muffins.
Like I said. Yummy, but doesn't taste like a doughnut. (It didn't stop us from eating them all.)

Here's the recipe:
adapted from sweetpeaskitchen.com

Glazed Doughnut Muffins


1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup natural applesauce
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup milk

Glaze:
3 tablespoons butter; melted
1 cup powdered sugar; sifted
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons hot water

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line 12 standard muffin cups with liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
Beat together butter, and sugars. Add the applesauce and mix. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and vanilla until just combined. Stir the flour into the mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour, and making sure everything is thoroughly combined.
Scoop batter into cups, filling the cups 3/4 way full. Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups. Bake until muffin tops are a pale golden and springy to the touch, (about 15  minutes). Cool muffins in muffin tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool 10 minutes before glazing.
Whisk together the melted butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and water until smooth.
When muffins have cooled slightly, dip the muffin tops into the glaze and allow the glaze to set. If desired, you can dip it a second time.

No comments:

Post a Comment