Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Nutella Crinkle Cookies



I made these cookies about a week ago - right after I made my Lemon Crinkle Cookies, and I didn't want to overload you with crinkle cookies. So, it's been about a week and a half - and I'm enjoying some Nutella cookies baked fresh from my freezer stash, and I thought it's time I share. :)
   I came up with this recipe after falling in love with crinkle cookies and wanting to make different variations. What better flavor to try than Nutella? I have loved it ever since I discovered it in Paris, smeared on a hot crepe. When I found out you could buy it any any grocery store here in the states I was thrilled. When I found that Costco carried an extra-large size, and sold them in a two pack I was in heaven. Now I keep my pantry fully Nutella stocked at all times.
   This recipe was perfect after 2 tries and I am more than happy to share my invention with you. (I don't know if I'm the first to make Nutella Crinkle Cookies, but I like to think I am.)
Here's how I do it:
I put 1/3 cup of softened butter in a mixing bowl, and add 3/4 cups of sugar.
I was baking and holding Baby Girl at the same time. She wanted to help me pour the sugar. :)

Now comes the Nutella. - See how much I love it? It's about time to open a new jar, this one is getting a little low.

I spooned out about 1/4 cup of Nutella.

It wasn't commig off the spoon without some assistance. This spoon is now for licking.

And my finger too. :)

I cream together the butter, sugar and Nutella. Then I add 1/2 tsp of vanilla and 1 egg.

I mix everything together and add 1/4 tso of salt,

1/4 tsp of baking powder

and 1/8 tsp baking soda.

I add 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder, and mix it all together.

Then I add 1 1/4 cups of flour (always all purpose unless stated otherwise).

When it's all combined it looks like this.

I put the dough in the fridge to chill and my husband yelled for me to come out on the porch. He wanted my to look at something. I was weary, because I didn't want to be surprised by a snake. (They have been comming out in full force lately because of the warm weather.) I peeked around the planter box and saw a tiny grey creature. At first I thought it was a mouse - there's a lot of those around here too, but it's the smallest bunny rabbit I've ever seen.
A baby Cotton Tail Rabbit found it's way onto our porch. Isn't it adorable? A way better surprise than a snake!
After a few minutes of watching my loving husband try to keep our kids away from the rabbit, I went back inside to finish the cookies. I used my tsp measuring spoon and scooped tiny cookie balls.

I rolled the ball in my hand and then dropped it into powdered sugar.

When it was coated, I put it on a silpat lined cookie sheet (parchment paper works too).

I was able to fit 15 on my cookie sheet. I put them in a preheated 350F oven and baked them for 8 minutes. (The frozen ones I baked today took 10 minutes in my toaster oven.)

This is what they look like when they are done. All cracked and crinkled on th top - hence the name.

You can bake up the rest, or do what I did. Place them on a plate and put them into the freezer until frozen. Then just put them in a zip-top freezer bag, labled of course, and put them back into the freezer. This way you can bake up as much or as little whenever you want.

Now, these cookies are delicious as is. But if you want to "gild the lily" as they say, you can take it one step further.

Take some Nutella, and spread it on the bottom of a cookie.

Then place another cookie on top. Yum!

Good thing this recipe makes a lot. They go really fast!

Here's the recipe:

Nutella Crinkle Cookies

1/3 cup butter, softened
3/4 cups sugar
a rounded 1/4 cup Nutella
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup powdered sugar

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Mix in the Nutella. Add the egg and vanilla. Mix in the salt, baking powder, baking soda cocoa powder and flour. Chill dough in the fridge for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350F. Scoop tsp sized balls of dough and roll in the powdered sugar. Place in a silpat or parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake @ 350F for 8 minutes. Cool for a couple minutes on the cookie sheet, before moving to a cooling rack. Extra dough can be refrigerated for 1 week or frozen in a zip-top freezer bag. (If cooking from frozen, cook for 9 minutes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment