Saturday, May 12, 2012

Papa's 5 Minute Fudge

This is a recipe for my dad's 5 minute fudge, but I honestly can't remember a time that we ate it just as fudge. We did (and still do) enjoy it as our favorite chocolate frosting for chocolate cake. It sets up firm, but if you put your piece of cake in the microwave for 10-20 seconds the frosting gets softer. And the part of the cake where the frosting meets the cake gets all melty and the fudge almost melts into the cake. That is my favorite part. I can't imagine a chocolate cake that doesn't include this fudge. I'm imagining licking my fork right now. Mmmmm. (The cake picture is my Layered Chocolate Fudge Cake. No, my layers are not straight. But that doesn't effect the taste at all.

It's really simple.
Just put 2/3 cup evaporated milk into a medium pan and add 2 cups sugar,

and 3 Tbsp light corn syrup.

Stir and bring it to a boil. When you see bubbles, start your timer. 5 minutes.

It will look like it's going to bubble over, so cook on low.

After 5 minutes, turn off the heat and add 1 10 oz package of marshmallows. The small ones melt faster, but I only had large ones this time. (How they escaped my fork and the flame of the stove I don't know. I love toasted marshmallows, and I don't need a camp fire to enjoy them.)

When the marshmallows are melted, add 1/2 tsp of vanilla and 1 package (about 2 cups) of chocolate chips.

The fudge will start to set up as soon as you add the chocolate, so stir quickly and then pour over your cake or into a greased pan.

Now just wait for it to cool and enjoy!

Papa's 5 Minute Fudge

2/3 cup evaporated milk
2 cups sugar
3 Tbsp light corn syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla
10 oz package of marshmallows
12 oz package of chocolate chips (about 2 cups)

Bring milk, sugar and syrup to a boil in a medium pot and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and add marshmallows. When the marshmallows are melted, add the vanilla and chocolate chips. Stir quickly and pour over cake, or into a greased pan. Let cool and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment