Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Samantha's Pancakes


    My cousin-in-law, Samantha, is all about healthy eating. She is always baking/cooking yummy treats, but using healthy ingredients to do so. Most of the recipes she makes utilize ingredients that I don't have just lying around in my fridge or pantry - except for these pancakes. 
    Samantha loves pancakes, but she usually can't enjoy them without the resulting insulin spikes. Recently, she posted on facebook that she made Oatmeal Cottage Cheese Pancakes. She said they were loaded with protein, but they don't have a high glycemic load - so she can indulge all she wants. My curiosity was peaked. When I saw that there were only three ingredients and that it was made in the blender, I was sold.
   I whipped up these pancakes this morning for the kids before school and everyone loved them. I did decide to add a little almond extract, and some toasted almonds on top but those things are completely optional. (I think next time I'll try a pinch of cinnamon, and some vanilla.) The kids also enjoyed their pancakes with some real maple syrup, but I enjoyed mine plain and they were still yummy.
    It's nice to know that I can make a healthy breakfast in minutes to start my kids (and us grown ups too) off right for the day. Thanks so much for the recipe Samantha! They will forever be known in our house as "Samantha's Pancakes." Love you!

Here's all you need: 
Oats, cottage cheese and egg whites. Literally, that's it. :)

I also added these optional ingredients today. **Samantha does recommend having some kind of extract in the batter, so that it doesn't taste so plain.

I put 1/2 cup of cottage cheese in my blender.

I scooped 1/2 cup of rolled, old fashioned oats,

and put them in the blender too.

Then I separated 4 eggs. I just used my hands and separated them over the blender. The whites go in, and the yolks stay out.

I'll keep these for making a not-so healthy recipe later. :)

That's the recipe. Just blend it up and pour your pancakes. But, if you want to make the almond version that I did today, then there's just one more ingredient that goes in the batter.
Pure Almond Extract. Only an 1/8 tsp.


Now I just turned the blender on high and let it get smooth, like this.

You could probably just spray your pan/griddle with no-stick spray and save some calories, but I went for the butter today.

Just grease the griddle and start making the pancakes. I was using a measuring cup to help me get them more uniform in shape, but you can do what you like.

When the bubbles are set, it's time to flip.

They should be a beautiful golden color.  They will puff up a little more when they cook on the second side. (The more you whip the batter, the puffier they will be.)

There's nothing left to do but plate an enjoy. (And add toasted, sliced almonds if you wish.) This recipe made 15 small (1/4 cup) pancakes.

You can enjoy them plain, or with some syrup.

My kids wanted syrup.

Can you see my angels (im)patiently waiting for their mother to stop taking pictures and just feed them already? My beautiful babies.

Now go make you some!

Here's the recipe:

Samantha's Pancakes

1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup cottage cheese
4 egg whites
1/8 tsp almond extract (optional but any extract is recommended)
toasted, sliced almonds to top (optional)

Put cottage cheese, oats, egg whites and extract (if using) in the blender and blend until smooth. (The longer you blend, the puffier you pancakes will be.) Ladle or pour batter onto a hot, greased griddle. When bubbles form and pop on the top side, they are ready to flip. Cook on the second side just until brown. Serve warm and top with almonds (optional).

No comments:

Post a Comment