Thursday, May 24, 2012

Green Fruit Salad

This is a recipe that I grew up eating. My parents grew up eating it as well. It's probably as old as Jell-o itself. It goes by many names, but the recipe I found in my parent's old church cookbook called it "Green Fruit Salad." I have also heard it frequently called Jell-o Cottage Cheese Salad.
   It's a light and refreshing fruit salad that can be eaten as a side dish, or saved for dessert. It's been around forever and I'm sure it will stick around forever, because it's just that simple and delicious.
It made it into our family cook book (that is very exclusive I might add), and durring the summer, when it's just too hot to cook much, I make this at least once a week.

We do change up the recipe some, depending on who's making it that day (this is a recipe that the kids can make by themselves without much supervision). My favorite variation requires strawberry flavored jell-o, but I kept to tradition and used lime today. It is called "green" fruit salad after all. - I'll post both recipes @ the end.-

This is what you'll need:
16 oz cottage cheese, 1 box of jell-o, 1 container of whipped topping and 1 can (or 1 cup) of fruit. Original recipe says crushed pineapple, but we like fruit cocktail or pineapple tidbits.
Put the cottage cheese in the microwave for about 30 seconds and then mix it with the jell-o mix. Having the cottage cheese warm helps the jell-o to dissolve better.

When all the jell-o is mixed in, it looks like this:

Now you add your fruit. It needs to be VERY well drained. If not, the salad won't set up and it will be a runny mess. The original recipe says to use crushed pineapple. We like fruit cocktail canned in 100% juice.

You could also use pineapple tidbits. - If I'm making a larger batch, I like to use both (a 15 oz can of fruit cocktail and a 20 oz can of pineapple tid bits). Then I would use a large package of jell-o, 32 oz of cottage cheese and 16 oz of whipped topping.  It goes really fast in our house, so even a big batch doesn't last that long. My kids eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner when I let them, which is probably more often than I should be admitting to. :)

Next comes the whipped topping. I find that the full fat version holds up better, but use what you like. (I used the lite kind today, and it didn't set up as nicely.)

Fold the topping in gently, so the salad stays light and airy.

When it's all mixed in, it goes into the fridge to set up for a couple of hours. - I usually make this in the morning for that night's lunch or dinner. Be cautious, though, if you didn't drain your fruit well enough then it will leak out more juice while it sits and it will become runny.

You can leave it in the mixing bowl, like we usually do, or you can serve it up in pretty glasses if you are having it as a dessert.

We usually just eat it on our plates along side the main-dish. Expecially if it's a summer meal that's been cooked on the barbeque (hamburgers, hot dogs, brats, bbq chicken, bbq ribs, tri-tip . . . OK I'll stop now I'm making myself hungry.).

It's not the prettiest fruit salad in the world, but it is one of the tastiest in my opinion. Experiement with other flavor combinations and find your favorite. It's a keeper!
Here's the recipe:

Original version:
Green Fruit Salad:

1 20 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
1 8 oz package of whipped topping
1 16 oz package of cottage cheese
1 small package of lime jell-o

Mix together the cottage cheese and jell-o until well mixed. Add the fruit and mix again. Fold in the whipped topping. Chill for a couple hours to set. Serve cold.

Our favorite version:
Pink Fruit Salad

15 oz can fruit cocktail in 100% juice, drained VERY WELL
1 cup pineapple tidbits in 100% juice, drained VERY WELL
16 oz cottage cheese
8 oz whipped topping
1 small package of strawberry jell-o

Warm cottage cheese in microwave for about 30 seconds. Add jell-o and mix well until jell-o is desolved. Stir in the fruit. Make sure the mixture is no longer warm, and then fold in the whipped topping. Chill for a couple hours to set. Serve cold.

2 comments: