Thursday, May 10, 2012

Creamy Pasta Frittata


I love frittatas. It's basically a baked omelet that you can put anything into. I often use it as a way to recreate leftovers, and that is exactly what I did today.
   When I made my Creamy Avocado Pasta, I had used raw garlic (instead of granulated garlic) and it proved to be too strong of a flavor for me and the kids. So, I was trying to think of ways to dilute the flavor of the garlic but still have the pasta taste good. My solution - a frittata!  My brave husband was out fighting fire last night (another reason we had leftovers), so he didn't get to taste the pasta on the first go around. However, he said that he enjoyed the frittata, so that's a win.
    You can make this with anything! Any pasta, veggies, meat, grain, what have you. I would cook the add-ins first though. - Another reason why a frittata is perfect for leftovers.
It's super simple.

Here's what I did:

I got out my large skillet and put the left over pasta in the bottom. (Put some oil down first, and preheat the pan over medium heat so that you get a nice crust on the bottom.) We had about 1/2 the recipe of pasta left.
Then I whipped up 6 eggs with about 1/2 cup milk (you can also use cream). The more eggs you use, the firmer your frittata will be. Mine was pretty soft.

So, once the eggs are in that's basically it! Just cook it on the stove for a couple minutes (until it starts to bubble).

Then top it with cheese,

as much cheese as you want (I used Mozzarella. I wanted a mild cheese that would help mellow out the garlic in the pasta.)

The whole thing goes into a 350F oven for 15-20 minutes (until the eggs are set and it starts to brown slightly).

You can turn the whole thing out onto a plate, or serve it straight from the pan. Just cut it into wedges - like pizza - and eat!
My frittata worked! The garlic flavor was completely mellowed out by the eggs and cheese, and it was much better this way. I was a little worried because I've never cooked avocado before, but it went well.  
"I love it when a plan comes together."

Here's the recipe:

Creamy Pasta Frittata

1/2 recipe of Creamy Avocado Pasta
6-8 eggs (the more eggs the firmer the frittata)
1/4 tsp salt (to taste)
freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
1/2 cup milk, half and half or cream
1 Tbsp oil or butter
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (to taste)

Preheat the oven to 350F.  Heat a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Add the oil or butter and spread around the pan evenly. Add the pasta and make an even layer. Mix together the eggs, salt, pepper and milk. Pour the egg mixture over the pasta and cook for a couple minutes, until it starts to bubble. Top with cheese and put the pan in the hot oven and bake for 15-20 minutes (until the eggs are cooked through and the frittata is slightly browned). Can be served warm, room temperature or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment