Thursday, April 5, 2012

Basil Mexican Squash



It's dishes like this one that are so easy it's almost embarrassing. It's basically just sauteed squash, but the Basil makes it a little different and special. Mint might also be good, if you like that instead. Or Parsley is always a welcomed herb in my book.
   I always have dried herbs on hand, so that is what I'm using today. Once my garden gets going this year (hopefully) I will have plenty of fresh herbs to use. :)

This recipe works will with any green squash - if you can't find "Mexican Squash." Just use what you can find.
Here's what you'll need:

4 Mexican Squash, salt, freshly ground black pepper, dry basil, butter, onion and garlic
  Start by washing your squash, and cutting them any way you like. Tonight I did match sticks. I cut them in half length-wise. Rolled them over so the cut side was down, and then sliced vertically until it was in long strips. I rotated the squash (pictured) so that I could cut the strips into a more manageable 1 1/2 inch long size.

 Then I took the strips and laid them on their sides, so that I can cut them in half again.
It sounds more complicated than it is. Thank goodness for pictures!!

 Once all 4 squash have been cut, add 1/2 an onion diced and one clove of garlic minced.

Put some butter in a pan (I think I used about a Tablespoon), and let it melt.

 Add your veggies (squash, onion and garlic) and sprinkle with 1 tsp dry basil and some salt and freshly ground black pepper.

 Toss to coat in the butter, and cook over medium heat,with the lid on, for 5 minutes. Stir every 2 minutes, so the squash doesn't get too brown.
Serve as an easy side to any meal. I served it with my Apricot Mustard Chicken with Almonds, and Carrot Cake for dessert.

Here's the recipe:


Basil Mexican Squash

4 Mexican Squash, washed and cut
1/2 small onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon butter
1 tsp dry basil
salt
freshly ground black pepper

Melt the butter in a saute pan. Add all ingredients and toss to combine. Cook with the lid on for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2 comments:

  1. If you have family members that are "picky" about onion, if you saute the onion for 2-3 minutes before adding the squash, it will allow the onion flavor to come thru, but allow the onion pieces to "hide" in the dish. It is also a nice addition to top the dish with freshly grated parmesan cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true about the onions! I usually cook all my onions first, in most of my dishes because I don't like crunchy onions. This was just one instance that I diddn't.
    The small dices cook down pretty well with the lid on in this dish, but not as much as if the onions were done seperately.
    Thanks for commenting on that for all the fellow readers. I've never tried it with Parmesan Cheese, but it sounds wonderful (how often does cheese hurt a dish?). :)

    ReplyDelete