Friday, April 13, 2012

Prime Rib Roast

My hubby wants me to make my Slow-Cooker Chili for a fireman's chili cook-off @ his work this weekend. Well, my chili calls for some chopped up cooked steak or roast. The chili is the best when I've used  left over Prime Rib. So, when Prime Rib was on sale earlier this week I bought one. Now we have a dinner, and I have the meat for the chili. :)
     This is more of directions, instead of a recipe but here it goes.

You'll need one standing rib roast - bones intact. It doesn't matter the size - just realize that the bigger the roast, the longer you will have to cook it. Mine has 3 bones - about 7 lbs.


Liberally salt the roast. At least 1 Tbsp. (My salt container isn't really as close as this picture makes it look.)
Rub the salt in, on all sides, and then get out some steak seasoning. Any brand you like. Cover the roast with that and rub that in as well.

Insert a probe thermometer in the center of the meat, away from the bones.
Set the thermometer for 140F - At this point I realized that my children had changed my thermometer from F to C so I flipped the switch . . .
and set it again. Now, 140F is going to be your FINAL temperature - after you take it out of the oven and it rests. This is for medium rare to medium meat (still pink). You'll want to take it out of the oven when your thermometer reads 125F, so that it can gently climb the rest of the way on the counter - tented with foil. If you want you meat to be rare (red), take it out @ 120. If you want it medium well (not pink), take it out @ 135 to 140F.
Cook the roast @ 450F for for 15 minutes (I actually did mine @ 425 for 20 minutes, because I was cooking my Apple Tarte Tatin at the same time.) After the first 15 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 325F and cook until the roast is at your desired doneness.
This is a chart I found at Prime Steak Houses to help you determine how long your roast will take. Most people tend to like their prime rib rare, so that is what this shows.

Cooking Time for Rare (120°)
(3) Ribs, 7 to 8 lbs. 15 minutes at 450°, Then 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours at 325°
(4) Ribs, 9 to 10 lbs. 15 minutes at 450°, Then 1 ½ to 2 hours at 325°
(5) Ribs, 11 to 13 lbs. 15 minutes at 450°, Then 2 to 2 ½ hours at 325°
(6) Ribs, 14 to 16 lbs. 15 minutes at 450° Then, 2 ¾ to 3 hours at 325°
(7) Ribs, 16 to 18 lbs. 15 minutes at 450° Then, 3 to 3 ¾ hours at 325°

I had a 3 rib roast, and mine took 2 hours to get to medium.
When the roast reaches your desired doneness, take it out and cover it with foil. Let it rest for 30 minutes.

This is what they had to say about doneness and temperatures:
"Rare meats measure in at 120° to 125° with a bright red center that grows slightly pinkish towards the exterior. Medium rare meats measure between 130° to 135° and are characterized by their extremely pink center portion that grows brown towards the exterior. Medium meats have a light pink center, brown outer portions and readings of about 140° to 145°. Medium well is not pink at all and is achieved at 150° to 155°. Well done is reached at 160° and above and is characterized by a uniform brown color."

I always cook my roasts to 140F, because that is how we like it. You do what you like. :)

Now, I would love to show you a beautiful picture of my roast when it came out of the oven - but my wonderful husband and son got to it first. It wasn't pretty by the time I got to it. What's left is going into the chili. :)

Let me tell you though, that it has a nice spicy and salty crust and a soft, juicy interior. Very tasty!

I hope this helps you with your rib roast preparations. Sorry there's not a real recipe, just guidelines.
Here are my ingredients:

Prime Rib Roast

 3 rib roast (about 7 lbs)
salt
grill seasoning

Preheat oven to 450F. Put roast in a baking dish or roaster pan an cover all sides liberally with salt (at least 1 Tbsp). Rub it in. Next, cover the roast with the grill seasoning and rub that in. Insert an instant read probe thermometer into the center of the roast, not touching any bones. Cook @ 450F for 15 minutes and then drop temperature to 325F and continue cooking until desired temperature is reached. (125F for medium rare to medium). Take roast out and cover with foil. Let it rest for 30 minutes (- temperature should reach 140F). Carve and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment