Friday, April 13, 2012

Yummy Potatoes

     I'm posting this for my father-in-law. We served him these potatoes when my in-laws were visiting from Montana, and now he wants my mom-in-law to make them. Here you go Grandpa. :)
     My husband and I first had these potatoes when we went over to our good friends, Scott and Dayna's house for dinner. The one dish my husband begged me to ask the recipe for was the potatoes. Dayna called them "Yummy Potatoes"so that's what I call them, but they have many names. It is a creamy potato casserole with cheese and crunchy corn cereal on top. It's a wonderful mix of flavors and textures, and is a great accompaniment to almost any meal. We especially like them with ham, roast chicken, or Prime Rib.

This is the recipe I use every time I make them.
You'll need 5 medium Russet potatoes. (I only had little runt ones, so I used 10.)
Wash them and put them into a pot.
Cover with water, and put it on the stove to bring it up to a boil.
While the potatoes are cooking, you can get the other ingredients ready.
Salt, pepper, a corn flake cereal, 1 can of condensed Cream of Chicken Soup, sour cream, butter and cheese
When the potatoes are fork tender, drain them and peel them. I haven't found the perfect way to peel a hot potato yet. If any of you have the answer, please let me know! Today, I loosened the skin with the grater.

This actually worked quite well, I just had to wash my skin-filled grater afterwards.
When all the potatoes are peeled, put them into a bowl and into the fridge to cool.  
Now you can assemble the glue that will hold this casserole together.
In a large mixing bowl, add 1 can of condensed Cream of Chicken Soup. (There's just no way to make this look pretty.)
2 cups of sour cream
1 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

and one stick of butter, melted.

Mix them all together.
When the potatoes are cool, grate them using the large size holes on the box grater.
Put the grated potatoes into the bowl with the "glue."
Thoroughly combine, and then dump into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Top with shredded cheddar cheese (I like cheddar cheese, so I use about 2 cups) and the corn cereal.
Bake @ 350 for 30 minutes. The potatoes will become creamy but still have a nice texture, the cheese will melt and the cereal will toast slightly.  Nothing else left to do but eat!
Here's the recipe:

Yummy Potatoes

5 medium Russet potatoes
1 10 3/4 oz can of condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
2 cups sour cream
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
cheddar cheese, shredded
corn flake cereal, slightly crushed.

Clean, boil, and peel the potatoes. Put them in the fridge to cool and firm up. Once cool, grate them using the largest grate on a box grater. In a large mixing bowl, combine soup, sour cream, butter, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Add the grated potatoes and put into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Cover the top with shredded cheddar cheese and then the corn flake cereal. Bake @ 350 for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment