Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Sauteed Zucchini Ribbons


I made this to go along with my Brown Butter Tilapia, but it is an easy and impressive side dish that goes with almost any meal.

Here's what you'll need:

2 medium zucchinis, butter (salted), onion, granulated garlic, salt and freshly ground black pepper, *vegetable peeler, *saute pan, *tongs or stirring spoon
- *not pictured

 Wash the zucchini and put it on a cutting board (or your freshly washed counter like I did). Cut off one end (I cut off both ends on the first squash and then asked myself "Why did you do that? You're just need one end trimmed." I did it right on the second squash; so do as I say - not as I did.)

Hold the squash down with one hand while you drag a vegetable peeler horizontally across the zucchini.

 When you get down to the seeds, roll the zucchini on it's side and cut that side into ribbons.

 You'll repeat this 2 more times until you are left with nothing but the seeds (This is still a tasty snack - it just doesn't make pretty ribbons.) Repeat with the second zucchini and you'll have a pile of beautiful, edible ribbons.

Put about a Tablespoon of butter in a medium saute pan and turn the heat on low.

While the butter is melting, peel and slice 1/2 onion into thin crescent slices.

 Put the sliced onion in the pan with the melted butter and stir. Turn up the heat to medium-low. When the onions are soft, add 1/2 tsp granulated garlic and stir again. (You could use fresh garlic if you wanted. I was trying to make a dinner in a hurry, so I just used the granulated garlic instead. Just use 1 small clove of peeled, minced garlic if you would rather have fresh.)
 

 Add the zucchini ribbons, and salt and pepper to taste.  (At this point you could add any herbs you wish. I usually sprinkle in some basil - basil and zucchini are friends. But tonight I already had a lot of other flavors going on with my Brown Butter Tilapia and Pina-Colada Rice. I wanted to keep the squash simple.)

Stir and cook until wilted - 5 minutes tops.

 Plate and eat. (I made this striking tower of ribbons by using a technique I learned on the Food Network. Grab some zucchini with your tongs. Place them on the bottom of your serving dish. Twist upward as you release the tongs and the ribbons wrap around themselves. Allowing you to present something fancy. . . . Mine would have looked more impressive if I had plated it on a plate/platter and to the picture from the side, but you get the gist of it.)

Here's the recipe:

Sauteed Zucchini Ribbons

2 medium zucchini, washed and cut into ribbons
1/2 small brown onion, sliced thin
1 Tablespoon butter (salted)
salt
fresh ground black pepper

Melt butter in medium saute pan. Add onions and cook on medium-low until soft. Stir in granulated garlic, zucchini ribbons, salt and pepper. Cook until soft, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment