Friday, April 27, 2012

Peanut Butter S'more Granola Bars



The lighting is better in this shot . . . .

But you can see all the yummy goodness in this one. :)
So, I made my Trail Mix Granola Bars, and everyone loved them so much I wanted to make another version. The kids wanted S'mores and I thought peanut butter might be nice, so we did both!
   This version is softer than the trail mix kind, because of the peanut butter in it. If you want a crunchier granola bar, just omit the peanut butter or you can cook the honey, butter, sugar mixture for 3 minutes instead of 2.
   I'm officially addicted to making my own no-bake granola bars. They are insanely simple and healthy, and fun to create new flavor combinations. Have fun and try your own.

Here's how I made them:

Put 1/4 cup each honey in butter in a pan with 1/3 cup dark brown sugar.

Bring it to a boil and cook on low for 2 minutes.

Turn off the heat and add 1/4 cup peanut butter. Stir well.

I put all my granola bar ingredients into a large bowl. I had 1 3/4 cups oats, 1 cup rice cereal, graham crackers pieces and 1/2 cup mini marshmallows.

To get the graham cracker pieces, I just took two whole graham crackers, broke them into fourths and then into 1/2 inch or smaller pieces.

I poured the peanut butter mixture over the mixed granola ingredients and stirred well.

After everything was combined, and the mixture was just a little warm (definitely not hot anymore) I added 1/3 cup of chocolate chips.

I dumped the mixture into my pan (A 9x9 would be best, but I just used my 9x13 because I had just finished my Trail Mix Bars moments before so this pan was all ready.)

I used my hands to really compact the mixture to make solid bars. (I have it smashed up to one side because my pan is too big.)

They looked a little plain, so I added a few more chocolate chips on top.

I put them in my freezer for 5 minutes (I was too impatient to wait 15 minutes in my fridge. - Man that says a lot about me. lol). Then I cut them into bars. This was my husband and kids favorite, but I think I might like the trail mix version better . . . . maybe. 

See all the gooey marshmallows and chocolate? You can see the chunks of crispy graham crackers too. Yum!
Here's the recipe:

Peanut Butter S'more Granola Bars

1 3/4 cups oats
1 cup puffed rice cereal
2 honey graham crackers, broken into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup mini marshmallows
1/3 cup chocolate chips (plus more for top)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup peanut butter

Put butter, honey and sugar into a pot and bring up to a boil. Cook on low for *1 to 2 minutes, then turn off the heat. Add the peanut butter and stir well.  In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, cereal, graham cracker pieces and marshmallows. Pour hot peanut butter mixture over the top and stir well. When mixture is just warm (NOT hot), add 1/3 cup chocolate chips. Stir quickly and dump into 9x9 pan. Press bars down firmly until flat and even. Add a few more chocolate chips on top (optional). Cool in fridge for at least 15 minutes and then cut into bars.

*For a chewier bar, cook only 1 minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment