Friday, April 13, 2012

Slow-Cooker Chili




Have you decided yet? Do you like the "extra large" pictures? I think I do, but I'll leave the rest of the pictures in this post regular sized - since raw ground meat doesn't look that appealing up close and personal.
 

I first made this chili a couple months ago, to use up some venison that my brother-in-law gave us. My husband said it was the best chili I had ever made, and the recipe promptly went into our family recipe book. (It's really hard to get a recipe in there.) It's called Deer Chili in our house, but it can be made with whatever ground meat you want to use. I've only ever made it once since, and I used Buffalo meat, because we had no venison and my hubby doesn't care for ground beef all that much. He said it was just as tasty.
   So, why am I making a fresh double batch today when I've followed the wise counsel of my parents and Ree Drummond, and have some ready in the freezer? Because my adoring husband entered us (me) into a fireman's chili cook-off at his work tomorrow. I guess it works out, though, because now you can see how I make my (hopefully award winning) "Slow-Cooker Chili" (I changed the name, because not everyone has hunters in the family that bring home ground venison to use.)

These are the basics:


chili powder, organic tomato sauce, cumin, dry oregano, ground meat (I used Buffalo/Bison this time), onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, green bell pepper and cooked steak that's been cut into cubes, slow-cooker
 Place the meat in the slow-cooker. I'm doing a double batch today, so it's 2 lbs. I'll right the recipe for one batch, since not everyone has a fireman's cook-off to go to.
Add 2 1/2 Tbsp chili powder,
1 Tbsp cumin

1 tsp dry oregano (Rub it into your palm with your fingers before you add it, to wake up the flavor.)
1 tsp sugar, and 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup diced bell pepper (I used green, but any color would be fine.)
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
A few dashes of Worcestershire, and a few grinds pf fresh black pepper (about 1/2 tsp)
1 15 oz can of organic tomato sauce
Stir everything until it's all combined.
It will look like this. Put the lid on and cook on low for 6 hours.

After 6 hours on low, add the chopped steak and beans.


You'll need a can of these - I can usually only find these in the store brand. You'll want to add the whole can, sauce and all.


And a can of these - dark or light red, it doesn't matter. You'll need to drain and rinse these.

You'll need 2 cups of cooked steak (we like Prime Rib),cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
Cook for another 30 minutes, for it to heat through and you're done! You can check the salt and pepper, and add more if you need it.
Here I have it plated with my Sweet n' Cheesy Cornbread that we usually eat with our Cornbread and Egg Gravy.
Here's the recipe:

Slow-Cooker Chili

1 lb ground meat
2 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dry oregano
1 15 oz can organic tomato sauce
1 15 oz can Chili Beans in Sauce (add sauce too)
1 15 oz can of Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups of cooked steak, cut into cubes (Prime Rib is best)

Combine all ingredients in the slow-cooker. Stir to thoroughly combine. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Add beans and cut steak. Cook another 30 minutes. Serve hot with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and/or diced onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment